PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump bad

Akuma
05-27-2002, 11:47 PM
I believe that I have a bad power steering pump. It costs a lot for a new one, so I decided that i would rather just remove it. However, I was told that if you remove the power steering pump then no fluid will be there to lubricate it and sooner or later you wont be able to steer at all. Can anyone back this up or say that this is BS or what. Thanks.

Akuma

A20A1
05-28-2002, 12:07 AM
2 years and going strong

OldSchoolSwap
05-28-2002, 06:14 AM
Bull shit! if you remove the pump, then there's nothing else to lubricate! Well at least I never had a problem since 98 that I took mines off.

Much better without power steering in my opinion, I get a better feel of the road.

offthahook
05-28-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
Well at least I never had a problem since 98 that I took mines off
Nice grammar, B. Mines was dry fo a minute and I ain't have no probs wif it. Plus, mines 85 HB never even had PS, but the LX line did. It was the same steering situation as far as I know (minus the PS pump and lines). :pimp:

Akuma
05-28-2002, 09:55 AM
cool... what exactly is the process for removing it? Do you have any holes to plug and what not? maybe a short overview from someone whos done it... also if someone has removed there A/C too that would be helpful... if someone has a detailed way to do these things we should put them in how-to section..

I was just told by Honda that I would have to get a new rack from a manual steering car or that it would not work with the power steering rack from our cars. Probably a way to get more money from me. Anyways, any info?

Akuma

Akuma
05-28-2002, 08:19 PM
come on people....

YK86
05-29-2002, 01:47 AM
Hey Akuma, I wrote up the how to's you requested. Check those out. I hope it answers your question.

ACCORD EX
05-29-2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by YK86
Hey Akuma, I wrote up the how to's you requested. Check those out. I hope it answers your question.

very nice how to' s man ! really good work ! :D :super:

MIKE

Akuma
05-29-2002, 07:55 AM
thanks buddy

CoAsTeR
05-30-2002, 07:36 PM
just some advice for those who still have a PS pump...

ONLY USE HONDA FACTORY PS FLUID. anything else will kill your pump...... the honda fluid might big expensive, but I've seen to many pumps die to not use it.....

smufguy
05-30-2002, 07:39 PM
yo Akuma, get a pump from a junk for 25 bucks man. if u dont wanna mess with anythign u dont know, just replace the ones u know for sure is messed up. Personally i like power steering, but without it is fine too. Dont go get a new one from the dealer or an aftermarket one, its just not worth it. even someone here might have taken it off and might be able to give it to u for less.

A20A3Power
05-30-2002, 08:57 PM
One thing i'll mention....if u let the rack run dry...it will wear out the gears faster....the best bet...is to use the fluid still...but just loop the lines to the powersteering bottle on the side there...keep the rack lubed up...and keeps it clean..