PDA

View Full Version : COVID-19 & Cylinder head.....

AC439
03-26-2020, 07:04 AM
I decided to post here instead of in community chat... Here's the situation:-

In a previous thread about cylinder head, the general consensus is to have a shop rebuild the head instead of getting online a reman head. How that with COVID-19, I have more time to re-visit the cylinder head issue but there are also stay home orders so many businesses have shut down. I think cylinder head shops are non-essential so I expect them to be closed.

At this time, the other option is to online order a reman head. I have paid attention to some pictures some seller posted. I noticed some reman heads do not have that metal pipe (around 6" length, to the front of the distributor mounting area) coming out. The metal pipe I'm talking about is the one connected to the water valve for the heater core. This concerns me because a head this old, it may be impossible to remove the pipe from the old head to put on the reman head. Pls see pics, one has the pipe and the other does not.

So, for those that has done this before, if I ended up getting a head that does not have that pipe, how difficult is it to take it out from the old head and put on the new head ?

* Also, for a reman head, do I still need to adjust valve clearance ? I can't assume they adjust it during reman process, right ?

Thx

Fixedit
03-26-2020, 01:49 PM
Last time I ordered one of these I sent it back the same day. Had obvious repair welds in an exhaust port due to cracking I assume, and with my original already being cracked I wanted nothing to do with it. That's just my experience though. I don't remember if the coolant pipe is threaded or not, but I'd think it to be since it'd otherwise leak over time (right? lol). Any time you received reman parts though it's always the best idea to go through the entire thing and check/adjust/fix anything and everything about it. I guarantee you'll have to set the valve lash, yes. I'd make sure the cam caps are torqued down too, and make sure all seals are present (valve seals, camshaft seal). Oh, and the reman I got definitely did not come with the coolant pipe.

AC439
03-28-2020, 05:38 AM
This is also what I'm afraid of with a reman head. I know mine is original\old but does not have a crack and don't want to get one that has been welded.....

My county does not have a stay home order but two other neighboring counties do. The two reputable head shops are in the counties that has stay home order and they cannot open....

I may have to wait till they reopen....

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2020, 07:52 PM
Definitely call them. If they are doing work for critical infrastructure, like a police dept., they could be open for you.

AC439
03-29-2020, 04:22 PM
will try

Blither
04-01-2020, 08:21 PM
In my experience with my locally rebuilt head, my machinist made new swear words trying to get that pipe off the old head. Almost gave up before taking a torch to it in his backyard and she finally gave in and popped out. This is not a dumb machinist either. Never tried it myself though...

AC439
04-02-2020, 08:23 AM
I checked one machine shop couple of days ago and they are business as usual. The governor issued a state wide stay home order yesterday now things may change. I don't want to open up the engine and then cannot find a machine shop. I'm also not sure even if the shop is open if they can get parts for the head if parts stores are closed........

May have to call around few more places.....