PDA

View Full Version : clutch

jigga89SEi
03-05-2003, 05:37 AM
k I'm still in the process of looking for a clutch....My first question is ..........What all do you need to replace when you change a clutch?......What parts come in a kit?.....Is that all you need?.....
Cause I called the honda dealer ship in the area and they said it was like a $100 for the pressure plate $100 for the other plate and $40 for the throwout bearing or some shit like that it got me all confused and I'm getting frustrated, cause I will never go back to pep boy's.....I wanna fly a plane into that fucking place.....If I was rich enough I'd stand out front of pep boy's and tell everyone who came there that I'd pay 10% of there bill if they'd take it somewhere else. Pep boy's screwed me and I'll never every trust'em again...
Anyways back to the clutch.....I'm desperate and need all the help I can get....

Thanx

smufguy
03-05-2003, 09:19 AM
you got three options here.

1. Go with OEM replacement
2. Get Centerforce Clutch
3. Get ACT

those are three i trust so those options are in my own opinion.

1. This option is good for u if ur a daily commuter, dont do crazy burnouts and have little or no mods on ur engine as in cams or rebuilt head or ported head or what not. Just a header and intake is not a mod under here. oem replacements are like $120 - $150 just for the kit and labor to put it on are an avg of 100 bucks. so ur gonna be spending around 250 the least if ur real lucky.

2. Centerforce clutches are good ones and a lot of people on this board are extremely satisfied with it. Just the part costs $250 - $350 depending on how harsh u wanna go with and how many fingers ur clutch plate needs and what is it made of as in, if its organic. A good choice if ur gonna go with what is backed by the satisfaction of many here.

3. ACT (advance Clutch Technology) clutches are good, costs around $200 - 350 and are similar to centerforce. I personally was there helping my Mechanic put it on my friend's corolla. So i know they are good. HIs kit was $250 cause it came with an aligning tool and he went with less fingers on his clutch.

The clutc kit that u buy which in this case Aftermarket, they come as a kit. The kit includes 1) Pressure plate 2) clutch plate (organic or inorganic) and 3) alignment tool (optional in some kits)

the three basic ones are mandatory and u need all three do it the right way. Some mechanics have the alignment tool but my mechanic who is our family mechanic usually asks the person to buy it themselves so he does not have to clutter up his home garage where he does some of his job.

You know what kinda mods u have on UR ENGINE. not the headers, exhaust and intake. But what actually u have on ur engine and go with the clutch. I am sure the OEM clutch would take it easily if u got an intake, exhaust and headers with no problem and i would say its just a waste of money if u go with clutches that is not gonna be doing its job in ur daily life.

jigga89SEi
03-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanx man that helps greatly

ACCORD EX
03-05-2003, 10:42 AM
check the how to 's ! there you'll find the things you need and how to do it ! ( BTW you need a tranny oil also ! )

MIKE

smufguy
03-05-2003, 01:59 PM
no problem jigga. U can do it on ur own if u have a hydraulic stand if not, its just not worth doing it and its better to spend that extra money and give it a mechanic who can do it right and do it safe unlike us with jackstands going under the car and trying to unbolt stuff.

check the faq like Mike said, its a bundle of knowledge :bow: faq

Grant2k
03-05-2003, 03:08 PM
you definitly want to change the throwout bearing while you're in there too. but i would say an OEM clutch is fine for almost anybody. you really don't need an upgraded clutch unless you want to drive really hard. an OEM clutch will be fine with a lot of mods as long as you drive like a normal person.

dXsquared
03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
and when you race.. just shift quick and take the foot off the clutch quickly

Travis