PDA

View Full Version : smoke/steam from valve cover filter

Mantis88LX
03-05-2003, 11:40 AM
ok i have a little apc filter on my valve cover, the part that runs to the air box, anyways when ever the car is warmed up and i rev it some steam or smoke shoots out of it. it used to spit oil out of it too but i found out tht the pcv valve tube was bent so it wasnt working.
i read somewere it could be rings or something.
anyone?

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2003, 12:24 PM
you should have a little steam/smoke come out of it but nothing tremendous. Like if you have a little puff like sombody smoking a cigarette than its no big deal.

Mantis88LX
03-05-2003, 12:27 PM
yeah its like a puff of cigrette smoke when i rev it, this is the first time i have noticed this.

mindlos
03-05-2003, 12:52 PM
Thats just blowby. I've never literally seen the smoke but have always smelled it. Since mine does not spit out oil I hooked it up to the civic intake box so that it gets burned up. It would be nice if I had an inline filter.

Mantis88LX
03-05-2003, 01:39 PM
how can i stop or slow down blow by?

mindlos
03-05-2003, 03:55 PM
There will always be blow-by. That is what the PCV system is meant to remove so that the oil doesnt get acidic. On the other hand, excessive blow-by is a result of worn piston rings like you noted. The only time you should worry is if your engine is losing performance due to loss of compression as a result of worn rings. Good compression and blow-by is not bad at all.

mindlos
03-05-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking the reason you see it is the condensation of combustion moisture due to the cold atmospheric air.