PDA

View Full Version : Airbox gasket?

ArrZeroZero
05-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Hi so I have looked just about everywhere and cant find an answer. So there is a rubber ring on my air intake (?) Where the box sits onto of the carburetor the rubber ring was replaced by electrical tape by the previous owner and it is causing a vacuum leak we believe. Now I know next to nothing about cars but that's what I've been told (I'm learning how to do shit with this car) so my question is what would that gasket or rubber ring or whatever it's called be called at a parts store because autozone told me that to replace it I need to buy a whole new carb and intake system but that seems a bit ridiculous as the ring comes off pretty easy

The car I'm working on is a 1987 honda accord Dx Carbureted

Dr_Snooz
05-11-2020, 06:52 PM
I'd probably ask for an air cleaner gasket, followed up by additional explanation as needed. It can also be helpful to take the old part in.

Expect that the part has been discontinued though. You might have to figure out a homegrown replacement. Maybe something better than electrical tape.

Worst case, you can smear some RTV gasket maker on it. Next time you remove the air cleaner, just rub the old stuff off and smear some more.

ArrZeroZero
05-12-2020, 04:44 PM
See we were going to do RTV but the rubber ring is like an inch and a half thick can you really replace that with RTV

g.frost
05-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Likely you will need to find one used at the junk yard. ... But if this is the seal between the air cleaner and carb, it will not cause a vacuum leak. It will cause air to leak past the air cleaner, letting dirt in. If you have a vacuum leak, look elsewhere.

InAccordance
05-15-2020, 02:27 PM
What he said, that wont cause a vacuum leak.
but if it still bugs you, measure it and find a similar generic one. Plain rubber rings should be pretty easy to find in any size.