PDA

View Full Version : Manual transmission fluid

ShiRen
05-28-2020, 04:46 AM
So, I know the service manual calls for a 10w-40, 20w40, or sae30 motor oil in the trans, but last time I filled it with Honda mtf, which should be about the same as a 30 weight. I don't know the cold performance of the Honda mtf, if its lighter like a 10w-30, or heavier like the sae30.

If you don't know, my trans started growling, after inspection of the clutch and trans out of the car I am not sure where the noise was coming from, but it may still be the trans. I did notice that my drain plug was finger tight, but it wasn't run dry to my knowledge and it never popped out of gear or anything that leads me to believe it was dry.

What would you put in the trans? I have a case of Honda mtf, but I might fill it with 10w-40 or 20w-40.

Idk what I will do if I have an input bearing going out... rebuild it I guess, but I cringe at the thought of sinking money in these unicorn trans. Noise was intermittent, moving or stopped, behaved more in high gear off/light throttle (I had to limp home 70mi), no noise with the clutch off. Sounds like clutch to me, as the input shaft wouldn't really make noise idling, with basically no load, I don't think, clutch started to feel like it was slipping too, but it looks brand new still lol. I should have it running by the first (my plates run out, so I have to lol), so we will see, fingers crossed.

g.frost
05-29-2020, 02:55 PM
A couple things to help diagnose the problem:

When idling in neutral, foot off the clutch, the input shaft is spinning. If there is a problem with the input shaft bearing you can usually hear some noise from it. When you press the clutch pedal to the floor, now the clutch throw out or release bearing is spinning and the input shaft will stop... If you hear the noise now, it's the release bearing.

If you hear a 'growl' when taking off in 1st and 2nd gear,,, sounds to me like it could be input shaft bearing problems. (that's what my brother's '97 civic did when his input shaft bearing was going out.)

I have never had any problems with my 3g in this area, so others here have far more experience.

I have always used Red Line MTL in all my Honda manual transmissions. Never a problem, always smooth shifting and no bearing noise. The 3g was never too picky about the oil, but 2005 Civic was notchy since new going into 2nd, Red Line cured that, smooth as butter! Now at 197K miles, never a problem with shifting, clutch, or any noise from input shaft bearings. I always change MTL at every 30-45K miles.

Oldblueaccord
05-30-2020, 07:58 AM
I been using Mobil one 10w40 very long time no problems to report.

I think there better oils out here like the Redine mentioned and even maybe he Honda brand,

ShiRen
05-31-2020, 05:54 AM
I ended up using Chevron Delo 15w-40 and no noises! Shifts really good 1-4, extremely satisfying even coming from my Si, 5th does scratch now, I don't remember if it did before, but that gear is tiny and if I recall the synchro was pretty chewed up

Oldblueaccord
05-31-2020, 06:22 AM
Keep it full or the 5th cluster is what suffers,youll hear it whine.

ShiRen
06-03-2020, 04:14 AM
Yeah, despite everything, Ive never heard it whine. Not sure about that crunch though... Ill just live with it unless it starts to feel bad, its basically an OD anyway, and you can change it without removing the trans lol