PDA

View Full Version : 89 lxi drivers side steering knuckle

G3n0c1d321
06-02-2020, 11:48 PM
I'm in dire search for a drivers side steering knuckle for my 89 lxi if anyone has the one or the drivers and.passenger knuckles please let me know asap this is.my daily driver car/only car please help me locate one or both these steering knuckles thanks guys/ladys

ShiRen
06-03-2020, 04:16 AM
Can you not just press in a new ball joint? Assuming, thats all thats wrong

G3n0c1d321
06-03-2020, 04:23 AM
The lower balljoint is pulling through the bottom of the steering knuckle so I dont know if that will work. If it is going through the bottom then that means the balljoint hole has gotten bigger and then trying to find an oversized ball joint weakening the housing more after you press new one in... I dont want to take the chance of running down the road and wrecking cause of the ball joint falling out or splitting the housing so I just would rather find one and replace it

stardogchampion
06-15-2020, 08:52 PM
I may have them, but i know one of them has no hub or bearing in it. Im sure they will be costly to ship. Let me know if you are interested.

Dr_Snooz
06-15-2020, 09:07 PM
Pics of damage. You'd have to really work in a concerted way to break a knuckle like that.

stat1K
06-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Pics of damage. You'd have to really work in a concerted way to break a knuckle like that.

i said this same thing in one of his other threads. Like the ball joint will deform before the knuckle because of the type of metal you're dealing with. Unless someone just went ape shit with a press and completely destroyed the hole, but even then... but that's what he claims is the case in the other thread.

Dr_Snooz
06-18-2020, 12:01 PM
What do you bet someone forgot to install the snap ring?

ShiRen
06-18-2020, 06:08 PM
Snap ring is on the other side that it is pulling through. Either the seat broke off or it really rammed it in there. I bet he or someone hit something on the LCA and the shock yanked it through. Honestly I cant tell if he needs a knuckle or not.

Dr_Snooz
06-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Where is this pic that everyone else has seen but me?

stat1K
06-19-2020, 08:23 PM
https://i.ibb.co/XDH27CY/20200602-212849.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZK5rtDh/20200602-212954.jpg

honestly it's not at all clear, it's clear it has pulled through but again the weak metal is the ball joint not the knuckle.

Oldblueaccord
06-20-2020, 08:10 AM
it happens on like Dana style axles on the front end of trucks. My buddy ruined his that way. They actually made oversized ball joints for it at the time but I think he just welded new one in.

stat1K
06-20-2020, 07:47 PM
Yeah, i guess i have heard of it happening on older trucks like that but i always assumed that had more to do with the weight of the vehicle. I guess any amount of neglect can do wonders on old parts... and judging by the rest of that brake assembly and lower arm neglect is the right word.

Dr_Snooz
06-20-2020, 08:58 PM
Failed ball joint.

I just pulled my knuckles and banged out my lower ball joints today, so I'm able to compare and contrast. First, there is no evidence of any kind of damage, impact deformation on the knuckle. Not even the dust is disturbed. Second, the knuckle has a single lip where the ball joint seats. In the first pic, you can see two lips, one of which I assume to be the body of the failed joint. Third, you can see in the second pic that the body of the joint is greasy. The boot isn't torn, so the grease came from the inside of the ball joint when it failed. My joints came out dry. The original installation grease has long since dried out and turned to powder.

Anyone else agree?

stat1K
06-21-2020, 03:21 PM
I mean i would never assume the worst without even pressing out the old one ya know?

frastydragon
06-28-2020, 06:04 AM
Happened to me a few weeks ago. Hit a pothole. Axle got toasted also

Oldblueaccord
06-29-2020, 03:25 PM
Whoa damn..yeah got your money outta that one.

Really thats the ball failing, its dry no grease.

The original posters there is no press fit anymore on the ball joint housing. It banged around until it wore out the hole in the arm.

glutenfree
08-14-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm in dire search for a drivers side steering knuckle for my 89 lxi if anyone has the one or the drivers and.passenger knuckles please let me know asap this is.my daily driver car/only car please help me locate one or both these steering knuckles thanks guys/ladys

Did you ever find a knuckle?