PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disc Brake Conversion? Or maybe fabrication.

frastydragon
06-24-2020, 08:56 PM
So one of my rear brake drums exploded tonight. The piston some how came out probably cause the shoe was so worn. I lost braking power and the rear drum got seized. I had to park somewhere and removed the shoe pads cause it started smoking and got real hot.

I was looking thru the threads of swapping the rear drums with sei rear discs but like I cant find any parts or parts cars to do the swap. I also couldn't find any conversion kits for accords on online. I saw some for civics but I don't know if it'll fit. I might just try to make my own brackets some how but it might be trashy or not work at all.

Anyone got any advice? or parts?

ShiRen
06-25-2020, 04:05 AM
You can get a set of shoes, wheel cylinders, and drum for probably less than $25 per wheel on rockauto, so I would start there. Its not worth going to rear disk, there are just no parts out there. I have however been exploring the possibility of using a caliper bracket that mounts to the same place drum backing plate and holds a Wilwood caliper

frastydragon
06-25-2020, 08:28 PM
Yea I already replaced both of the shoes and cylinders. Costed me around 40$ for both wheels. When I get some time I might try testing the bracket idea. If and when I do ill post some pictures.

ShiRen
06-26-2020, 03:59 AM
Making a bracket is easy, but you have to make it fit and line up with a disk brake. Its no small task to whip something like that up

Dr_Snooz
06-28-2020, 10:54 AM
I have the rear discs but am also looking for a way to bolt on some Wilwood calipers. The stock rotors are much too small to be seen behind big rims. It's embaresking.