PDA

View Full Version : How do I........!?!??

InfinityAudioLXi
03-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Hey Guys I just purchased a MSD Blaster SS Coil (PN 8207) and I was wondering if I needed a 0.8 ballast resistor. There is a note that says: "If installing the Blaster SS Coil to a points ignition system without an MSD Ignition, a 0.8 ballast resistor is required (MSD PN 8214). The resistor should wire in series along with any factory resistors on the positive coil wire." The guy @ the local shop where I bought it said I didn't need one but hey I thought I would be faithfull to 3Geez and ask you guys. Also I was wondering if someone had a wiring diagram on how to hook this baby up? THanks guys:D

guaynabo89
03-06-2003, 08:42 PM
No you don't need one. Just install according to manufacturers directions and your good to go.

InfinityAudioLXi
03-06-2003, 08:53 PM
cool, thanks man! also I was wondering what the actual gain, or benefit will there be with this? Also are they noticable?

InfinityAudioLXi
03-06-2003, 10:21 PM
I also noticed that the stock coil has 2 sets of 2 wires besides the one going to the distributor cap. :confused: I was guessing that one set would be positive and the other set of two negative? is that right? also I didn't get a good look at the stock coil but does it say which is "+" and "-"? Thnx guys

mindlos
03-07-2003, 12:07 AM
A ballast resistor is for a points style ignition where you had two contacts touching and opening. The current wore them down quick, like 500miles, so the resistor limits the current. Our distributors have a spinning reluctor gapped with a stationary terminal for the spark to jump so no problem. Just an FYI.

As for the wiring, here's the FAQ Article 1 (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124) and FAQ Article 2 (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114)

Blue = negative and yellow-black = positive.

InfinityAudioLXi
03-07-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks man! thats cool that you guys all responded so fast! Thnx agaiin!!!!!!! :pimp:

anchovies
03-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by InfinityAudioLXi
cool, thanks man! also I was wondering what the actual gain, or benefit will there be with this? Also are they noticable?

Benefit is better spark. Only gain is iff your stock ignition is not firing correctly, misfires or worn plugs etc. If your stock ignition is good, then no gain.

InfinityAudioLXi
03-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I was also wondering where to mount it? It is quite an ockward shape and I have a couple of thoughts where to mount but i was wondering if someone knows of better spots??

dXsquared
03-08-2003, 02:05 PM
most people here mount it in the stock location...

Travis

dXsquared
03-08-2003, 02:09 PM
i noticed that it isnt the tube style coil.. it is better, but not as easy to mount... maybe on the side of the stut tower if there is room...

Travis