PDA

View Full Version : what about a acura k20a?

LX-i 4EVER
03-07-2003, 01:04 AM
I just was checking arround for performance engines for honda/acura and i found a Acura Integra R engine for sale.
It's a 2001 k20a 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC 16V type R engine.
the performance is 220 hp @8,000 rpm, 11.5:1 compression ratio.
the engine also comes with 6 speed manual trans, ecm, wireing.
all this for $400 form local bone yard. would you recomend this swap? I have heard this engine run and rev up to the moon!!
the car it is curently in is all smashed in the rear. but no damage in the front.

Jims 86LXI HB
03-07-2003, 01:17 AM
You found a a donor car for a complete K20a swap for only $400, I have a hard time believeing that. That's ZC money.

In any event I do a search on h22a and please the posts that come up, I can't stress how important it is to acually read them.

I view a K20a as harder than a h22 swap.

netfreak
03-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Best bet is to buy the engine anyway and resell it.

LX-i 4EVER
03-07-2003, 01:29 AM
I just meant the engine,trans, ecm ,wireing. the bone yard said i had two weeks to decide or they are going to crush the car. I would think it would be an easier swap than an h22 because its the same size as the stock engine. and i have done all kinds of swaps b4. I am not bying the whole car just the engine stuff. I used to work at this bone yard b4 and i go there all the time. and by the way I have all the nessary tools and equipment to do almost anything i would ever want to do.

Jims 86LXI HB
03-07-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by LX-i 4EVER
I just meant the engine,trans, ecm ,wireing. the bone yard said i had two weeks to decide or they are going to crush the car. I would think it would be an easier swap than an h22 because its the same size as the stock engine. and i have done all kinds of swaps b4. I am not bying the whole car just the engine stuff. I used to work at this bone yard b4 and i go there all the time. and by the way I have all the nessary tools and equipment to do almost anything i would ever want to do.

Reading the H22a posts will give you a understanding as to why it won't be a piece of cake, block size has nothing to do with it. Mounts and axles and the electronics.

LX-i 4EVER
03-07-2003, 01:52 AM
ok, whell what do you think would be harder to do?
fit a super stock dodge 426 hemi, with dual quad setup in a 1967 corvette stingray with a stock hood, or getting the acura k20a in to my 87 LX-i? because I just got done doing the hemi into the vette swap for my old boss.

Jims 86LXI HB
03-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by LX-i 4EVER
ok, whell what do you think would be harder to do?
fit a super stock dodge 426 hemi, with dual quad setup in a 1967 corvette stingray with a stock hood, or getting the acura k20a in to my 87 LX-i? because I just got done doing the hemi into the vette swap for my old boss.

Anything is possible with enough time and money. If what has already been written about doing a H22 in a 3g doesn't concern you, then you have answered your own question. Frankly since your versed in all this why'd you even ask in the first place? If you can make it happen, have at it.

LX-i 4EVER
03-07-2003, 02:59 AM
I just wanted to see if any one had done it b4, and if they would recomend it over other swaps, I am going for light weight and tunz more power! And if that engine has 220 hp stock then just think about the amount I will end up with after mods!!! it will be lighter than a h22.thats why i want to do it instead!

guaynabo89
03-07-2003, 06:28 AM
The k20 in the rsx type s is only rated at 200 hp while the base rsx is rated at 160 hp.

I say look into it good before you buy. If its a base rsx you'll be better off with another swap. Even if its the type s you'd be better off with a b18 from a type r. They're rated at 180 hp and they sell mount kits to drop it into the accord.

djsbon
03-07-2003, 08:12 AM
the a series engines are clockwise, and the k series engines are counter clockwise. you would have an insanely difficult time trying to get it to work. doubt it's ever been done. however, hasport slammed a k20a into a 4 door civic. so it's possible. but by the looks of your grammar, i'm unsure of your posts...

-grey

PhydeauX
03-07-2003, 10:32 AM
I think the hemi into the vette would be easier. You have more felxibility with positioning things in a rwd setup. Welding in new mounts and custom axles are the big issuse with this or the h22a swap. If you have access to some decent fab equipment then it shouldn't be a problem. When ever someone mentions swaps like this its usually some 16yr old kid with $20 in his pocket who just read about the h22a in super street. Most of us are sick of reading the same stupid questions about it, and yes the k20a has been concidered before. If you do pull it off you'll earn alot of respect. But we are a bit sick of people dicussing thier "fantasy swaps" here and that would be why most people come across cynical and intolerant about things like this.

andy

wprocomp
03-07-2003, 10:50 AM
A K20 for $400 wow thats a deal(bs) and a hemi in a vette wow(bs) thats great.;)

goldyaccord
03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
:rolleyes: another noob strikes...

The K20 was able to be swapped into the civic only becuase the civic and RSX shared the same crossmember assemblies. and same mount points. They didnt just take a motor and put it in.. they had to take some of the crossmember and other *frame* stuff for it to work.

They would just not work unless you did some *MAJOR* fabrication.

smufguy
03-07-2003, 04:43 PM
best bet is to look for a B20A considering its the same 160hp stock. and with a lil modification i am sure u can get around 200hp+ considering some of the members do push around 140Hp on a A20. Stop drooling at that K20 and save urself some time, money and energy. Its not that great of an engine besides being a Vtec.

LX-i 4EVER
03-07-2003, 10:51 PM
hey wprocomp, you really think this is bs hunh? whell when i get a scanner i will post pics of the vette with the hemi, and I am going to also post all orignal receipts and pics of the project k20a. I just gotta buy a beater so I can still go to work while I do this swap. and by the way phydeauX I am 21, I've been working on cars for 6+ years now. And for all of you that ask why? It is because I love hard challenges, and to be able to do something that has only been done a couple times. I am a.s.e certified at master diagnosis, and I have taken two year trade school for import performance, where I graduated in the top 5 of my class of 78 students.

carotman
03-08-2003, 05:40 AM
the a series engines are clockwise, and the k series engines are counter clockwise. you would have an insanely difficult time trying to get it to work.

What does the engine spin direction has to do with the difficulty of the swap.... I am NOT going into details, do your own research and thinking... but engine spin direction is like the color of the valve cover..... it won't affect the swap difficulty in any way.

SiCReX
03-09-2003, 05:26 PM
dude buy that k20 and try that shit, even if it aint worth it you could sell it for alot more money than $400. you guys aint gotta be dicks to everyone on the board who asks questions, you did it too once. and andy you are an asshole no one asked for your bitchy opinion, how about you take a couple midol then come back and post when you're off your rag.

wprocomp
03-09-2003, 06:43 PM
I know its possible to put a hemi in a vette,$ can talk,but the only hemis I see in vettes have tube frames and they are still scrunched in there.and yes I would like to see pics of both.

chronicsinners
03-10-2003, 09:49 AM
oh yea a k20 type r in your local junkyard? do they get alot of jdm wrecks and japan only cars in ohio!?! 400$ no way

I waive the BS flag

And btw there is no chance that you will get that engine in a 3rd gen accord. good effin luck

The only reason they put a k20 in a 4dr civic is because it was a 2k1+ civic, the most similar chassis to the rsx.

EDIT: grammar

Pace
03-12-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm new here so if I post in the wrong thread, kick me in the butt and help me find the right one.......my question.......I have an Acura Legend with 167,000 miles on it that runs like a champ, no problems whatsoever but I know it won't run forever so I wanted to find another engine and either rebuild that engine, or swap it into my Acura to drive until I get my original one rebuilt and then swap back, or if anyone out there has done this with another car of the same difficulty, can you please give me some advice as which is the best way to go. I have searched and searched to get someone to rebuild mine but NO ONE in my area wants to tackle it.........Any help sure would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....

smufguy
03-12-2003, 12:58 PM
hey pace, ur legend is probably the 2.7L V6 but hey its a great car. I would say just get a dusty beater for like 500 bucks from a local seller or even an auction and drive it around till u get the engine rebuilt. Getting an engine and swapping it in ur car and then pulling it out is not fun.

But what u can always do is, get an engine, rebuild that engine and mod it if u wanna and then pull the old one from ur car and swap the modded one in and ur set. u can either crap ur old motor or do the same mods to ur old motor and sell it or get another legend with a blown motor in it and swap it to that one. Either way ur in lotta fun.

DarknessRS
03-12-2003, 04:45 PM
http://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txthttp://darknessrs.tripod.com/dumbass.txt

DarknessRS
03-12-2003, 05:00 PM
First off, the amount of custom work and money you'd have to put into a K20A swap is not worth it. Making it work isn't the problem, but the costs of having someone make it work seems too high. Not to mention it hasn't been done before, so you are likely to run into unpredictable problems.

Now for the BS that you've crapped out all over this post:

You claim to have worked on cars for 6+ years, have certification, yet you ask if the swap is worth it? If you have been working on cars for 6+ years you should at least know about all of those B18s suped up in Integras and Civics. You should also probably know that the RSX Type S over here doesn't have the Integra Type R K20A engine. And no junkyard in their right mind would ever crush a car like that without making big bucks on selling it for scrap. One of my junkyards actually pays to get newer/higher profile wrecked Hondas so they can sell the parts on them for a very good price.

And if you had bothered to read any of those posts marked: 'read this before you ask any engine swap questions' you probably would have learned what the common swaps are for an Accord.

Seriously, if you really knew anything about cars you woudn't have even asked 1/2 of these questions. Please save yourself the embarassment and come clean.

smufguy
03-12-2003, 06:09 PM
darkness. u said the same thing that everyone here have said so far. there is already one guy in this thread who got busted for wrong conduct. watch ur posts dude.

88accord
03-13-2003, 07:06 PM
this guy i know just spent like 11,000 big ones ona k20 type-s
in a civic & its slow.my friends and i told him its ugly and slow +he got raped.

sleeper98gsr
03-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Can I get a BS flag? #1, the K20A R-spec is not available in the USA. #2, The K20A goes for big $$ (like $4000 big for everything, not $400). I know, I tried to price out one for my GSR. Another Honda n00b strikes again I guess.

carotman
03-14-2003, 03:26 AM
I'm tired of this topic, it doesn't bring any new information to the engine swaps section and just draws attention it doesn't need.

Topic Closed