PDA

View Full Version : Black Box Under In. Manifold

Janiel
03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Whats the easest way to take that box off that the pcv vavle goes to? I kind of broke part of the pcv vavle in the hose that goes to the box and it cloged the hose and now all the blow by smoke comes out the breather. That pissed me off that vavle cost 2.50 and causing me a shit load of problems:burn:

PhydeauX
03-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Its not that easy even when the motor is out of the car. You're going to need some room to get back ther so the passenger side axle has to come out and all the work is done from under the car. You need to take the brace that from the block to the intake manifold off. Then you need to undo the pipe clamps on the hose that runs from the oil pan to the box. There are 2 bolts that actuall hold the box on. One on each side and the one on the transmission side is hard to see. Don't worry about that top tube, 99% of the time is so hardened from time that its impossible to get it of with out breaking it. Just assume you're going to break it and buy another one. They are like $5 from the dealer. Once you have the bolts out wiggle the box off. Its a pain to get it free because of how short the hose going to the oil pan is. There is also another conection from the box directly to the block. Thats just sealed with an o-ring, but it forces you to have to pull the strait out with out being able to wiggle it much. Thats what makes this such a pain in the ass. You just have to fight with it and it will eventually come. Be prepaied that its going to be just as hard to get back on as it was to take off.

andy

Janiel
03-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks andy. I already took off the intake pleum w/throtte body and it made it a bit easier to work on. This weekend I'am going to take the hose and the box out. By the way will the pieces of the pcv vavle fall in my oil pan. The vavle broke in 10 million pieces when i tryed to pull it out and i am worryed about it damaging my motor.

PhydeauX
03-07-2003, 01:22 PM
The black box has a baffel in it so it should keep most of the crap out. Its actually called an oil seperator and its designed to keep oil from being sucked out though the pcv system. Depending on how small the pieces are and how long they have been in there I can't say for certain that nothing got in your oil. The screen on the bottom of the pickup should keep the big crap out and the oil filter should take care of the smaller stuff that got might have got through.

andy