PDA

View Full Version : Removed vacuum stuff...need help now.

Nospeed
03-07-2003, 03:42 PM
ok, so yeah, i removed the vacuum stuff...and it seems to be running a little better. if you read my other post about the car bogging down you should know what im going through. go here if you didnt read it (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14241)

mantis88lx helped me keep the choke, cause oregon gets kinda cold in winters. so i have a vacuum secondary instead of a manual secondary. i seem to be bogging down before i hit 3k on the tach...but when it hits over 3k, it seems to regain some power.

so, what i was thinking is that the number one barrel isnt getting enough fuel; cause when #2 opens, it runs fine. if i modified the vacuum secondary into a manual secondary, do you think this will help? and how hard is it to do? do i have to take off the carb, cause i doubt i have the right tools to do it...and knowing me, ill probably have alot of pieces left over.

so, any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Nospeed
03-07-2003, 07:06 PM
really need help here...:sadwave:

mindlos
03-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Basically the throttle is openning and not enough fuel is coming through the primary jet (at least it seams), thus the car does not pick-up, air moves slower due to the bigger opening and thus draws less fuel, hence bogging down, yadayadayada.....

I'm thinking maybe some junk got in you float bowl or some other normal buildup and clogged your primary jet. Could even take out the top-hat to see if there is anything in there. I would rebuild the carb or just open it and clean it if tons of carb cleaner hasnt helped any. Compressed air would be handy too if you have hard material lodged in the orifices.

Dont bother with the manual secondary as a fix unless you just want a manual secondary. Its not hard, you need a socket wrench (10mm??) and just harvest a part from the AC diagphram linkage connection. The only way I see it bennefiting you is after you have given up and just want to drive on the secondary barrel. Even then it is bad because the carb will be too wide open for low rpms so it really wont pickup fast enough if any at all.

Wait for second opinion but I would say remove the carb and if you cannot rebuild it clean it up anyways. Use some compressed air to clean out the jets. I feel your pain.

-M

shepherd79
03-08-2003, 06:52 PM
to do the secondary conversion is not that hard at all.
the reason your car is boing down is because you secondary is not opening on time.
try converting secondary to manual. it should help a little.
the best thing to do is redrill primary jet to 1.2mm i think stock is 1mm. but do not touch the secondary jet. it is 1.6mm already.
try doing search for redrilling jets. i have posted about it a long time.
i just did this on my carb last week. it did improved take off.

Downlow89LX
03-08-2003, 11:48 PM
I had the same problem with my car. What I ended up doing was replacin my whole carburetor because it was a massive vaccuum leak somewhere in my carb. After I did that, it ran better than before. There was no more bogging or sputtering at all. Costed me $260 for it, well worth it though.

MrBen
03-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Where did you buy it?