PDA

View Full Version : Subs and amps...

Microstreak
03-07-2003, 07:15 PM
Ive been wanting to get these subs for a while now, but they operate at only 1 + 4 ohms. wht kind of amp can i use? only 1 or 4? and if the amp says 1800w x1 x 1 ohm, can i split into two subs or what would i have to do? ,:confused:
also can i wire the subs at 2 ohms instead. im new to subs and amps? thanks in advance for any help.

btw im planning on gettin audiobahn AW1208Qs and prolly a amp from audiobahn too...

xbi0s
03-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Okay, just a little review incase you didn't know.

The lower the Ohms the better...

When it says it runs @ 1 Ohm, that means its stable at that much power.

You can pump less ohms into it, yes and still get some kickass sound

Right now I am running a pair of MTX 5000 Series 12" subs with a 280w thunderseries amp... Bridged to both subs.

Im guessing Im running around 4 Ohms, and I think the subs can handle at least 2 Ohms

All i know is my car fucking pounds, too much so where I have a bad rattle outside..

So yes, you can run at higher ohms..

For an amp.. I'd check out the Flame Q series of amps from Audiobahn

My friend has 3 Flame Q 12" and a Flame Q amp (1600w) and his shit fucking POUNDS

They have pretty nice designs on the amps as well.

Bobs89LXi
03-08-2003, 07:02 PM
xbi0s, you are confusing ohms with watts. The ohm is a value of resistance, or in the case of AC current, impedence. The lower the impedence, the less power (wattage) is required to overcome it. You can change the overall impedence by the wiring your subs in parallel or series. I have a post in the FAQ section explaining it.

Microstreak
03-09-2003, 09:03 PM
i kind of understand now, but is it possible to hook up a 2 ohm amp w/ a 1 ohm sub, jus as an example. or i dunno. and xbios, i thought that more ohm, means better sound quality, so isn't that better? im not sure, anybody else have any other comments or suggestions?

shepherd79
03-10-2003, 04:18 AM
no you can't run 1ohm sub ob 2ohm amplifier. it will go into safe mode all the time. you must have the same OHMs for the sub and amp. 1ohm sub should go with 1ohm stable amplifier.
2ohm sub= 2ohm amp, and so on.
that kind setup will give you more bass for a dollar.

AccordEpicenter
03-10-2003, 01:54 PM
somtimes you can get away with that on certain amps but I wouldnt reccomend it because it somtimes wrecks the amp or makes it go into protection all the time

Microstreak
03-10-2003, 03:05 PM
oh, ok, thats what i thought, thanks

dXsquared
03-10-2003, 03:14 PM
if you have more than one sub... there are combonations that can be made with dual voice coils...more often then not you can run any DVC sub(s) off any amp

Travis

Microstreak
03-11-2003, 07:13 PM
the subs im plannin on gettin i blv are dual voice coil but they're rated around 1100w rms, so im goin to nd to run a amp to each, i want to be able to control the bass output, so im probably gonna nd a remote bass control. can i have one bass control knob for both amps?

dXsquared
03-11-2003, 07:36 PM
no sir

travis

Microstreak
03-12-2003, 01:00 PM
hmm, that blows, ill have to figure something out, thanks for all the help tho.

Swan
03-14-2003, 06:19 PM
ok..I kinda have the same question... so, if I have two 2-ohm subs, I can use a 1-ohm amp? or would it be a 4-ohm amp? OR like, if I have two 4-ohm subs, I can hook them up in parallel, and send the wires to a 2-ohm amp? if this is right, an easy way to explain it is this.... divide impedence by the number of subs, and that should tell you what amp to get............right???

dXsquared
03-14-2003, 06:23 PM
if you have a 1 ohm stable amp.. you can use any subs... the amp will handle higher resistance loads, but not lower...

Travis