PDA

View Full Version : Replacing head gasket/stuck around timing belt removal.

mrlx
08-18-2020, 05:49 PM
So I'm replacing my head gasket (hopefully is the problem) on my 86 LXi hatch because coolant got mixed in with my oil and is now chocolate milky. It also somehow got into my fuel injection/intake box. I removed the exhaust, distributor, thermostat, alternator belt, power steering belt, ac belt, and intake bolts are all off as well as most vacuums on it are disconnected. Left motor mount is removed. Im trying to get the timing belt off now and am confused. I got the pump pulley off and the book says to remove the alternator? But im not sure if thats needed. Looking for suggestions or what you all have done. Been at this for a few days and its my first time doing it because I couldnt justify paying a grand for just a head gasket. This way I can replace all old hoses and broken bits and pieces. Thank you all for any advice in advance.

Oldblueaccord
08-18-2020, 07:49 PM
I dont remember taking the alt off but my tip since this is your first time doing it is pull it if your not sure. First time jobs like that are much easier when you pull alot of stuff outta the way. Once you get good at that then Im sure you will add in some short cuts.

I know usually you just pull the head and intake together since those under neath bolts are a pia.

If your replacing the timing belt the crank pulley bolt can a real bitch.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/25137-1986-1989-accord-shop-manual-updated-5.html

Shop manual download might help.

mrlx
08-18-2020, 08:58 PM
I somehow got all the intake under bolts off but I think im going to pull it off anyways because of the mix of liquids inside it to clean it out. Yeah the crank situation got me scratching my head.

Oldblueaccord
08-18-2020, 09:08 PM
Well you can cheat and not put a new timing belt on it although you really should.

You might find that heads got a crack in it some place. You dont think it only had water in it a froze up and cracked?

ShiRen
08-19-2020, 04:20 AM
I would say the hardest part of doing the timing belt is removing the crank pulley, I can't get mine off and it is under the knife for a head gasket too, but mine already has a new timing belt on it. Seriously this does not take very much to get the head off. Once you have the manifolds off that is it, you can get the head off. There is a long headed bolt sticking out of the lower timing cover, loosen it a few turns, DO NOT remove it or you will be doing a full timing belt job, rotate the crank a little bit clockwise I think, preferably without turning the cam pulley, it will reduce the tension on the tensioner and you can start to work it off the cam pulley with your hands. The procedure to do this is in the manual.

If you are already passed that and you have the crank pulley, timing covers. and engine mount off the block you can just go ahead and remove the tensioner, the belt is pretty easy to get off.

If you are looking at a Chiltons manual go ahead and drop that and download the factory service manual. idk why on earth you would need to remove the alternator.

mrlx
08-22-2020, 09:20 PM
So I got the head off finally. Head gasket looks worn but not blown. Also found out the coolant oil mix is inside of my fuel injection not sure how thats possible. Not sure where to take it from here as of I dont know the problem. Dont want to just replace the gasket come to find out I have to take everything back off again.

conozo
09-01-2020, 07:20 PM
In my medium sized town we have a good engine machine shop that will test and clean up heads for you. They checked for cracks, warping, replaced the valve seals, and planed/resurfaced the head to flatten it out. It was like $200 for them to do it a few years ago. See if you have a place like that in town and send the head there to start.

mrlx
09-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Yeah so I got the head off finally and had it resurfaced and the spark plug holes were able to be re-threaded, thank god. Removing old stuck gasket on the block now.

profquad
10-22-2020, 03:00 PM
I'm no mechanic, but it seems possible the EGR would recycle some contaminated oil into the injectors if the exhaust manifold gasket is also in need of replacement.

ShiRen
10-23-2020, 04:05 AM
EGR only carries exhaust gas, oil in it would be mostly burned by the time it was at the valve going into the intake, EGR always causes carbon buildup in the intake, I don't think that is really an issue here