PDA

View Full Version : Transmission 5spd Manual for EFI (LXi)

glutenfree
08-27-2020, 12:20 PM
Looking for a complete, good working and preferably low mileage 5 speed manual transmission for an EFI car (86 LXi hatch).

Mine is still working but when I had my clutch replaced the mechanic said there was something funky going on with my clutch release mechanism or the housing or something. He was quite vague and I no longer deal with said mechanic. The one thing I noticed was the friction point was really high up, within the first 1-2 inches of clutch pedal travel.

HMU with offers or if you have any leads...

Cheers!

ShiRen
09-08-2020, 08:19 AM
I have actually had a lot of issues with the clutch in this car. I have been through 2 clutches in 10k mi, both for strange reasons that I could not diagnose by looking at them, I have had to replace the clutch cable, remove all padding from beneath the clutch pedal, fasten the clutch cable adjuster to the trans with a headlight shim, and add a spring to the arm to assist the throw out bearing spring. It still feels lifeless and the engagement is in a weird spot, but I think it is going to be reliable now. You will probably have to live with these issues because the trans are hard to come by, especially working, but it doesn't hurt to look for a spare, at least you have a working one for the time being. You are looking for transmission codes A2Q5 or A2Q6.

glutenfree
09-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the reply mate and those tranny codes, very helpful. I just need to make this one last a few more years. Hoping to have this car under the knife by that time.