PDA

View Full Version : OEM Honda Stereo Repair, knob crackling and belts, 39100-SEO-A2211-M2

Jinnai
10-11-2020, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, I just finished refurbishing an OEM head unit from an 80s Honda Accord, I'm not sure exactly which Hondas had which stereo, but the connector should be the same as any 3rd gen Accord and I'm sure others. I personally really don't like the newer, more glamorous head units and I do like the stock look, so I keep the original unit when I can.
I'm not an electrical engineer; what I fixed in this unit is the two things guaranteed to go out with age or miles, the three belts in the cassette deck, which is required for easy aux-in, and the crackling in the knobs. The build quality is excellent from a repair standpoint, better than the Delco or Toyota units I have. The volume knob is reasonably easy to repair, but I can't think of a way to keep the "seek" button functionality after taking apart the switch, due to the way it's constructed.
Here's a video I made on the matter. It's a terrible video, but it's just something I made on the fly while messing with the stereo:

https://youtu.be/Ok7cGnBE2a8

Dr_Snooz
10-18-2020, 03:05 PM
No sound on the video? I would like to know how to fix the crackling knobs. I had to throw out my OE head unit because of that.

Jinnai
10-18-2020, 03:33 PM
I hear audio, perhaps it's just very quiet?
If you have the same model, it's relatively easy to work on, but the other models are a bit different and I haven't tried them yet. Basically, if you can get the switch apart, rubbing alcohol works well to make them not crackly anymore. I'll be working on fixing the other models eventually.