PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get a 89 Accord?

Dr.Ajax
11-16-2020, 01:37 PM
I recently discovered that one of my family members has a running and working 89 Accord Lxi 4 door with 126k miles for sale and i was thinking of buying it off them. He said 500 for it and I think thats a good price, I wanted to get an experts opinion on it before i purchase. the engine works fine but the interior is messed but I dont think its too hard to get new seats and carpet for it. Any help would be useful!
-Ajax

Oldblueaccord
11-16-2020, 01:40 PM
well asking here will always be OF COURSE! Buy 10!

the big thing for you is will it pass California emissions etc. 500$ with that low mileage is a steal.

The lxi is fuel injection that will help.

Dr.Ajax
11-16-2020, 01:46 PM
It has an exhaust leak when it idles but i dont think itll be too hard to fix that. also are you sure its fuel injected? it looked carbureted but im not sure, i dont want to deal with a carb so if it is fuel injected ill get it.

ShiRen
11-16-2020, 02:05 PM
They're fun cars and very well built.

Lxi is fuel injected, but I will argue against you the carbs are no harder to deal with than efi, they both have a host of issues that are likely to show their head over 30-40 years... California makes it tricky though because you will be stuck with the fuel system exactly how it was stock either way, trust me neither one can make much power on a bone stock fuel system. Maybe efi will be better in your state and is more pleasant with less power.

Do you have plans for it? Is it auto or manual?

Dr.Ajax
11-16-2020, 03:02 PM
They're fun cars and very well built.

Lxi is fuel injected, but I will argue against you the carbs are no harder to deal with than efi, they both have a host of issues that are likely to show their head over 30-40 years... California makes it tricky though because you will be stuck with the fuel system exactly how it was stock either way, trust me neither one can make much power on a bone stock fuel system. Maybe efi will be better in your state and is more pleasant with less power.

Do you have plans for it? Is it auto or manual?

I dont plan on really working on the fuel system without a professional. Ive worked on motorcycles and stuff before but cars sound a bit out of my reach to repair so until i learn everything about it im not gonna work on the fuel.
as for my plans i have a few! first im gonna re-do the entire interior and make it new im going to try and lift it a bit. itll probably look silly lifted like an inch or two but i dont really care it sounds fun. also i learned how to code an aurduino so im gonna hook a nano up to a relay nd tap into the pop up light motors so that i can make the headlights do cool things like wink and blink and stuff. its an idea but i think it sounds fun!

AWH
11-16-2020, 04:14 PM
Get it [emoji854][emoji779] Will be the best purchase of your life. Just make sure the timing belt is ( being) done, and you will be enjoying it for a long time after. Let us know how it worked out. 3Geez FB is the site to be on for those rides, along with this one. Enjoy [emoji6].

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

hatchback_wes
11-17-2020, 10:46 PM
30 year old Honda? I'd say get it! especially for that price and what you want to do to it :) Just got myself an 86 hatch earlier in the pandemic myself lol Trying to work out the little problems it has before I get it running though

KenD
11-19-2020, 09:37 AM
Hi All, I'm new to the 3geez forum, so sorry to hijack this post, but I joined today and can't see the button for a 'New Post'?.

Looks like there's years of experience on here based on some of the posts I've read!

I'm close to buying my first classic car as a restoration project, and it's a 1989 Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi. The car is Ex UK, but is in Ireland now (hasn't drove for a little over year, but I believe is running).

Any advice on the key areas / things to look out for (rust , leaks, electrical issues etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

AWH
11-20-2020, 01:43 AM
Make sure the timing belt is done, or do replace it yourself. Other than that, replace distributorcap & rotor, plugs & wires. Top off or replace coolant, check oil-level.
Rear arches are always rusty on Honda's, can be replaced or repaired. Really decent and comfy driving cars with great level of performance for its age and class.
Get it, give it some tlc, and have a beautiful classic for a long time after.
Let us know how things worked out.

KenD
11-20-2020, 04:15 AM
Make sure the timing belt is done, or do replace it yourself. Other than that, replace distributorcap & rotor, plugs & wires. Top off or replace coolant, check oil-level.
Rear arches are always rusty on Honda's, can be replaced or repaired. Really decent and comfy driving cars with great level of performance for its age and class.
Get it, give it some tlc, and have a beautiful classic for a long time after.
Let us know how things worked out.

Thanks AWH, I managed to raise a dedicated post ( https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-accords/148311-1989-accord-aerodeck-2-0-exi-but-not-buy.html ) which some of the guys have come back to me on, so I'll try kill this one as I don't want people wasting time on duplication. Great advice. I'm viewing tomorrow, so will give an update on my post as to how it goes.