PDA

View Full Version : Distributor o-ring

TorWheeler
11-17-2020, 07:47 AM
I have an 86 accord DX with an oil leak between the distributor and the block. I took the distributor off and there are no rubber o-rings or seals of any kind. It was just leaking between two pieces of metal. Is there supposed to be an o-ring on these distributors, and if so, where? I have pictures, but I see no way of posting them. Thanks for the help!

Oldblueaccord
11-17-2020, 08:42 AM
yes there should be an o ring.

EDIT: #7

https://www.bkhondaparts.com/v-1988-honda-accord-hatchback--lxi--5-speed-manual/engine--distributor-pgm-fi-tec

https://www.partsgeek.com/assets/products/thumbn/07484518-1W5WBHN3.jpg

TorWheeler
11-17-2020, 09:37 AM
But....where? That distributor looks quite different than mine. You can even see where oil was leaking down the into the adjustment screw. From what I can tell both of those dark rings are metal, and there isn't anything to keep oil from leaking, just metal on metal. Do I need to replace the internal seals? Or am I just missing a seal that should go somewhere in this picture?10461

AWH
11-17-2020, 10:46 AM
Probably that little black O-ring on the dizzy shaft is worn. Replace that. No other gasket needed I believe.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

TorWheeler
11-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Probably that little black O-ring on the dizzy shaft is worn. Replace that. No other gasket needed I believe.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

There is no O-ring on the distributor shaft, unless it's metal. Both of those dark bands are metal. Unless you mean I need to take it apart further?

ShiRen
11-17-2020, 11:24 AM
This here is not metal, it is a rubber o ring that has gotten really really hard. The fact that it even made you think it was metal makes it sound extremely likely that it is leaking.

TorWheeler
11-18-2020, 01:37 AM
Guess I'll try something better to cut it. My knife didn't even leave a scratch.

ShiRen
11-18-2020, 05:05 AM
Get a pick underneath it, it will split and crumble if you try to stretch it

TorWheeler
11-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Went underneath it with a flat head and it exploded. I hope there aren't any tiny pieces in places they shouldn't be. Never had a rubber o-ring explode, normally they crumble and crack or even turn to mush. Thanks for your help guys, I've never worked on something so old xD

Oldblueaccord
11-18-2020, 12:52 PM
Newer oils seem to be attacking old seals.

TorWheeler
11-19-2020, 05:45 AM
Yeah, it had a leak when I bought it. Just trying to go through the issues one at a time so it can be my daily driver. Is there an oil you suggest?

ShiRen
11-19-2020, 07:13 AM
I don't really believe in any oil myths, aside from actual problems like eating cams due to decreased zinc content, but thats not a problem these engines have. The oring was 30 years old, it was already hard before any new oil did anything to it. I use Rotella T6 5w-40, yes its full synthetic diesel oil, but its cheap, diesel oil is high in zinc and molybdenum and synthetic oil can take a beating. Your car is going to spring a few oil leaks here and there, you'll just have to replace them as they go, there are not a lot of seals in the engine. If you want a conventional oil, just grab any name brand 5w-30 or 5w-40, there is hardly any difference between them, but additives are lacking unless you spend big money on Brad Penn or something. I would strongly advise against anything like mobile1 or Royal Purple, that is a terrible oil for anything old. I put Pennzoil Platinum in my Type R, but I wouldn't put it in my Accord just because Rotella is cheaper.