PDA

View Full Version : Auto Trans Question

sawyersmith
11-23-2020, 09:56 AM
Hey all!

Quick question. I was changing my oil yesterday and noticed what I suspect to be a very slight transmission fluid leak when cleaning up the oil that had dripped down from the oil filter.

There's not enough room under there for me to really inspect it, but it seemed to be from where the transmission meets the engine block.

It's not anything severe. I just noticed a little pinkish/red staining on the paper towel I was using to clean up. I did a drain and fill on the trans a couple months ago, but this leak appears to be on the opposite side of the trans drain, down towards the bottom closest to the ground.

It doesn't drip onto the ground in the garage and doesn't show up on the stick as losing fluid or anything so it can't be much, but is what I'm describing common or is there something I can look for to confirm?

Or, just don't worry about it until it becomes more of a problem?

1989 Accord LX Auto 139k miles.

Thanks in advance!

Dr_Snooz
11-24-2020, 10:32 PM
Could be a main seal, which would require you to drop the trans to fix. It could also be residual drippage from your drain and fill. I'd monitor it for a few weeks and see if it worsens. If not, probably best to ignore it.

sawyersmith
11-27-2020, 06:30 AM
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

I've checked it a couple more times and cant find anymore trans fluid that's showing back up after being cleaned off so I'm starting to lean more towards remnants of the drain and fill. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some common issue I wasn't aware of.

Thanks again!

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2020, 09:38 PM
It's a best practice to clean up around your drain bolts with some shop towels and degreaser before beginning, and to wipe it all clean again when you finish. Same goes for the fill caps. It helps to keep crap from getting where it shouldn't. I never do it, but I should.