PDA

View Full Version : What is this hose?

Sandwich
12-15-2020, 10:21 AM
Hey All,

Saw this sad looking hose that looks on the edge of life, any clue what it does/what I replace it with? it's black above the clip and then bulges white, I assume due to age, it goes to the base of the oil filter area. I wish, I caught this earlier, doesnt look like it will hold up much longer...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oU4C2GKR2WnMVFQ66

Cheers.

ShiRen
12-15-2020, 10:55 AM
That is interesting... Your car has an oil cooler/heater? Anyway... that is just a straight piece of 3/8 hose, it might be tricky to replace though and may involve removing the oil filter and sandwich plate. If you are wondering, that is a coolant hose, the black metal tube is the main water pipe.

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Dude your alternator belt is shot.

Sandwich
12-15-2020, 01:21 PM
Yeh, did a bit of scrolling through the manuals and found it, seems very few accords had it fitted. Panic over, I'm gonna call up local part stores see if they can sort me out with a good length of that hose, cheers for the info!

Is it 3/8 inner or outer diameter? I wish I could check but its a pain to reach and expanded a load :D .

Good spot oldblue, I had an 'episode' on the way home the other day where my 5 rib belt tore to shreds, luckily I noticed and it was on a cold engine with a lay-by close by, all to do with alternator alignment which is a long story in itself, but I replaced it with the 13-15 year old belt and that hasnt lasted long at all for obvious reasons, dont worry new belt going in ASAP.

Cheers!

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2020, 01:49 PM
Hose is rated by inside diameter.

Sandwich
12-15-2020, 02:08 PM
Cool, cheers!

The manual page FYI

Oldblueaccord
12-15-2020, 03:52 PM
Engine oil cooler! Wow very cool!!

ShiRen
12-16-2020, 05:35 AM
Doesn't seem like a very effective way to cool oil when you're cooling it with 190F water... hmm lol

Oldblueaccord
12-16-2020, 07:51 AM
maybe warmer is a better term....?

Sandwich
12-16-2020, 08:50 AM
Am I gonna have to drain the coolant when changing heater hoses like this or is it not that gushing? Cheers.

ShiRen
12-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Uuuuh... I wouldn't bother unless its old coolant, but you might want to have a bucket handy. If you don't it will definitely need bled when you add it back in.

It can only spew out so fast of a 3/8" hose lmao. crimp your new hose shut before you install it and you will have some time to start on the other side.

I can't really imagine that the oil temp is ever much less than the water temp though if this is indeed a warmer lol

Sandwich
12-16-2020, 01:42 PM
Nice one thanks, it's recent coolant so hesitant to drain it.

yeh the cooler/warmer bit does puzzle me, the coolant has just gone past the engine and then 'cools' or 'warms' the oil... which is the same temp as the engine... weird. I'd imagine the reason the hoses are so sad is because they get so hot. Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers.

ShiRen
12-16-2020, 02:55 PM
You can put your coolant back in even if you drain it all, as long as it is clean