PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Beltline Dashboard?

JRG
01-14-2021, 10:26 PM
Hi, I'm a pretty big Honda fan, owning several right now and lots over a lifetime. Lately I've been missing the older Honda's I drove in my teens and want to pick one up. What is miss the absolute most is the outward visibility of the late 80's / early 90s Hondas. I really hate how high today's dash boards and doors are. So, my question is this...of these 3 cars, in order be lowest to highest, who has the lowest beltline/dashboard? 1990 Prelude. 1989 Honda Accord. 1991 Honda Accord.

ShiRen
01-15-2021, 05:23 AM
If you don't have near panoramic view and the ability to see the front fenders while sitting in any of those then I am not sure you are going to be able to reach the pedals. I think the 3g Accord and 4g Civic would have some of the best visibility, I only say that because the Prelude has a much lower hood line in 1990 because they gave the engine a gangster lean and I have not driven an earlier model, but that one is a very similar body to the Accord.

I feel the necessity to point out that todays cars have decreased visibility mostly due to crash safety, you wouldn't want to be in a rollover or have a frontal side impact in these older cars. Hell I don't even have locking seat belts.

Sandwich
01-15-2021, 05:34 AM
Visibility from the driver's seat and the passenger seat was better due to the lower instrument panel design of the front window and a large windshield. And switches are arranged efficiently and at the time was the driving position can be fine-tuned adjustments. Aerodeck Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Accord#Accord_AeroDeck)

Remembered seeing this on the wikipedia section for the Aerodeck, can't imagine it's too different to the other 3gen accord/preludes, which are all great for visibility, but I am of course biased :D

JRG
01-15-2021, 10:59 AM
Yeah, for sure I realize that the higher hoods, dash and doors are safety requirements. I just really miss that panoramic view and I'm buying a fun car just for that. So you are saying the Gen 3 Accord is about the best view? Better than the Gen 4 View?

conozo
01-15-2021, 06:23 PM
I would say 4th gen accord or older would give you that panoramic view, with the older gens being a bit better with the view. I can't speak about the preludes and other models, ive never seen them side by side in person.