PDA

View Full Version : At a loss on coolant hoses!

sawyersmith
01-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Ok, so my 89 LX has new upper and lower radiator hoses. All the others are the originals.

I want to change every single hose that carries coolant.

Does anyone have a diagram of where they all are?

I’ve checked with a couple shops, no one will touch it because they can’t buy replacement molded hoses.

I’m not sure what to do here. This is literally the last thing to replace that would prevent any kind of catastrophic failure.

Some of the hoses look like I could improvise with cut to length hoses from the auto parts store. Others I don’t see how to do without causing a kink in non molded hoses.

What is my best strategy here with getting them all changed?

TIA

sawyersmith
01-19-2021, 06:50 PM
After seeing some other recent videos, it looks like standard hose may work better than I thought.

Still, a diagram would be helpful if it exists. Missing one would be no better then not changing any of them.

Any guidance is still appreciated. I don’t mind having a shop do it if it’s the safest route.

ShiRen
01-20-2021, 05:11 AM
Is your car carbureted? Assuming its a regular LX, the hoses under the intake are going to be the hardest, but really the only ones that you have to worry about sit right over the trans and they can be replaced with standard hose.

sawyersmith
01-20-2021, 06:31 AM
Is your car carbureted? Assuming its a regular LX, the hoses under the intake are going to be the hardest, but really the only ones that you have to worry about sit right over the trans and they can be replaced with standard hose.

Yes, it’s carbureted.

Ok, how many houses are there total? I don’t even know if I can spot them all.

ShiRen
01-20-2021, 07:10 AM
Dropbox - 1989AccordServiceManual.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ao48yvb89w7mr/1989AccordServiceManual.pdf?dl=0)

Page 102. There is 7 total, 8 including the small 90 after the heater valve. There are the 2 rad hoses, 2 heater hoses, 3 on the intake, 1 small on the back of the carb, 2 large on the back corners of the intake. 1 heater hose goes to the head, the other, and all the ones to the intake, go to the main water pipe along the back of the engine.

sawyersmith
01-20-2021, 07:55 AM
Dropbox - 1989AccordServiceManual.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7ao48yvb89w7mr/1989AccordServiceManual.pdf?dl=0)

Page 102. There is 7 total, 8 including the small 90 after the heater valve. There are the 2 rad hoses, 2 heater hoses, 3 on the intake, 1 small on the back of the carb, 2 large on the back corners of the intake. 1 heater hose goes to the head, the other, and all the ones to the intake, go to the main water pipe along the back of the engine.

Awesome. Thank you so much.

Are there any of these hoses that can’t be fixed with standard hoses? Often times kinking is a problem using non molded hoses.

I’m thinking I can maybe get creative with universal hoses cut to length.

ShiRen
01-20-2021, 09:41 AM
The small 90 can't obviously. I am not using any molded hoses besides the rad hoses, it just requires a little extra hose to not kink them.

sawyersmith
01-20-2021, 12:03 PM
The small 90 can't obviously. I am not using any molded hoses besides the rad hoses, it just requires a little extra hose to not kink them.

Is there a good workaround for the 90? Just extra hose on that one as well?

ShiRen
01-20-2021, 01:02 PM
Leave it... Or buy the molded hose at a parts store

sawyersmith
01-20-2021, 06:28 PM
Leave it... Or buy the molded hose at a parts store

Ok. Didn’t realize I could get that hose (or one similar diameter at 90 degrees)

Thanks again. Huge help.

ShiRen
01-21-2021, 05:57 AM
Just check the parts store, I think they carry several of the hoses... whether they are worth paying 10x the price of standard hose is up to you