PDA

View Full Version : Instant onset rough idle

pat8635
02-10-2021, 11:09 AM
Disclaimer, I have not really worked on a carb since my 69 volkswagen, which was traded for Accord in 80's. First what I think is wrong, then the story so you all can correct me.

I have noticed that on drivers side front of opening is a port/inlet that is dripping gas. I can't remember a time I have ever seen that and am wondering if it is a float issue or....

The rest of the story...

I have an 88 Accord LX with original Carb at 194,5?? Miles and for last year has only had ethanol free gas used in it. I was having hiccups under low rpm (about 2K and under) acceleration which finally getting the dang rear filter replace fixed it and was running almost perfectly. I have looked for a vacuum leak with both carb spray, which I hate spraying on old rubber and propane. I can't find any leak. I would say for 190K plus it was running with only small issues, one was high idle kicked in too quickly and it TX not even sure I need it and idle was about 1100 and wasn't coming back to rest on screw so couldn't lower it, but I don't mess with something that is working 95% of the time. Last week, I got caught in a road closure and in doing a uturn in a drive way, the front end hit with a solid thud. There is no obvious damage, but it was like what ever was holding cable back came free and I couldn't let foot off or gas after high idle stopped controlling idle. It runs fine till it warms up. This was my dads car and he gave it to me in 2004 as I had an 88 coup and still had lots of tools and stuff for it. When I got it I replaced all "tune up" stuff. Since this issue, I have replace spark wires, I found that 2 was bad and that 1 needed the plug cleaned was a little carbon on it. New wires and plugs all look good even after prolonged rough idle. I have run sea foam and techron through to try and solve previous issue without fighting rear filter. and cleaned carb inside and out.

Dr_Snooz
02-10-2021, 08:12 PM
What RPM is it idling at?

pat8635
02-10-2021, 08:53 PM
If I take foot off gas it dies even with idle screw turned in it holds 1500 for 30 to 90 seconds and it dies.

ShiRen
02-11-2021, 05:16 AM
From what you described it sounds like the accelerator pump is flowing over, so the float bowl is probably overflowing. I would suspect a bad o ring on the needle and seat. You can see the fuel in the bowl through the sight glass on the drivers side. Its not real easy to get a replacement o ring though.

pat8635
02-11-2021, 07:48 AM
That would fail suddenly with a solid bump?

ShiRen
02-11-2021, 07:59 AM
I mean its a 30 year old piece of rubber thats spent its life submerged in gasoline, idk how sudden it would be, but itll give some time

pat8635
02-11-2021, 08:04 AM
Fine one second, bump and not the next...

stat1K
02-11-2021, 08:48 AM
anything is possible man but unfortunately with these keihin carbs there aren't a lot of parts left so rebuilding becomes hard. time to look into a weber :)

pat8635
02-11-2021, 01:42 PM
National carburetor has remanufactured one for $199. Sounds almost too good to be true!

Dr_Snooz
02-11-2021, 08:08 PM
Is it possible to get some vids of the gas leaking out and the car acting up?