PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure spec at idle

InAccordance
04-11-2021, 12:52 PM
Looking through the manual the only specification it has listed is for the pressure relief valve which has Pressure setting (idle 14psi min / 54-65psi at 3000 rpm).
Need to know what the average oil pressure should look like on an a20a1 at idle. Just put in a gauge and it's reading 65 psi at idle which to me seems a bit high and it doesn't move much at 3k rpm (up to 70psi max)
Could be the gauge is reading high because it's showing two bars at key on all the time which is right around 7 or 8 psi (it's an electronic gauge btw). I do have a spare sending unit I could replace this one with but man was it a pain in the ass to get it in there lol.
Maybe it's reading ok and just need to subtract 7psi from what it's reading and that's the actual number which would put it right around 58psi at idle.

Thanks folks!

P.S. Nice to chat with everyone again, I know I disappeared last year, was a rough year.

Oldblueaccord
04-11-2021, 05:27 PM
Im thinking mine was pretty low before my gauge broke..maybe 20 at most but lower at hot idle with 10w40 oil. I cant see it being 65 psi at idle with out something being wrong someplace either the gauge or the relief stuck.

InAccordance
04-11-2021, 06:03 PM
So after heat cycling it (aka driving for about 15 minutes), looks like it's reading correctly once the oil is warmed up. Idle reads at a steady 45psi and under load highest I saw was right around 70psi (at around 5k rpm).
So looks like a range of 45-70psi... this normal for this engine? I'm running 10w30 for reference.
Again though, the gauge is reading 7-8psi with key on and engine off so there may be some variance there.

Dr_Snooz
04-11-2021, 06:22 PM
Yeah, it will read high when the oil is cold. Mine shows 25 psi at warm idle.

InAccordance
04-11-2021, 07:13 PM
hmmm, so 45 would be kind of high if it's reading correctly.
I may just have to swap the sending unit out and see if there is a difference.

Hell, even if 45 is right... never had issues oil-wise with the engine. Only poofs on startup because the valve guides are worn (I've gone into the valve train to verify this, they wiggly)

AWH
04-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Welcome back..
Not an answer, just a question. Did you mount it where the stock oilsensor was, if not, where did you place the sensor [emoji780]
Could you place a pic of the materials you needed to install [emoji780] Like what adaptors and such [emoji780]

On topic, i would swap it for the spare, just to be sure, if OK just leave the spare in there.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XQ-AU52 met Tapatalk

AWH
04-12-2021, 01:16 AM
Ofcourse, it could also be the sensor being bad, instead of the gauge, right [emoji848][emoji780]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

InAccordance
04-12-2021, 09:19 AM
Yea I'll get a pic here shortly. Its mounted on the oil filter housing where the old one was. Only thing I had to use was a 90 degree brass fitting to get it to clear. There was enough room height wise but the water pipe was in the way.
Gauge could be an issue but I'll try the other sending unit since I have it. Product description said it didnt come with the sending unit so I bought one separately, but what do you know, gauge came with one so now I have two lol

InAccordance
04-12-2021, 09:57 AM

and it's upside down for whatever reason... lol

As a side note, I did email summit if having the unit sideways would affect it and they responded back saying that the orientation wouldn't affect it in any way, you could mount it upside down if you wanted to.

Dr_Snooz
04-12-2021, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. As long it's above 14. There isn't much you can do about it anyway.

I like the idea of an electric sender. My mechanical gauge is so noisy.

InAccordance
04-14-2021, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. As long it's above 14. There isn't much you can do about it anyway.

I like the idea of an electric sender. My mechanical gauge is so noisy.

Probably true. Not like it's blowing out oil seals all over the place. Good to know it's had good oil pressure and still does even at 300k lol

Gauge was stupid easy to setup, only tricky part is finding the brass 90degree that's bpst male and npt female. Otherwise it's 3 wires (4 if you want the dimmer switch with it)

Dr_Snooz
04-15-2021, 06:31 PM
The other thing I'll mention is that the gauges might not be accurate. Mine reads 10 psi low. Yours sounds like it's reading high to me.

Sandwich
04-15-2021, 11:58 PM
How did you figure this out/verify this Snooz?

I've got an electrical gauge sender + a new adjustable switch so I can have the gauge and light (at a more suitable psi) from the same port, need to configure the adjustment though, and was planning to use gauge which I was hoping to be accurate.

AWH
04-16-2021, 01:04 AM
If one could source such a 90 degrees brass fitting in T shape, would there be enough space to mount both OEM and aftermarket oil pressure sensor [emoji780]

Sandwich
04-16-2021, 01:52 AM
I've got a 90* 1/8 BSP M to 1/8 BSP F (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-Bsp-Male-to-1-8-Bsp-Female-Elbows-Fittings-1-Off-b20a/110827385719), then a 1/8 BSP M to 2x 1/8 NPT F (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAMBA-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-Adapter-1-8-BSPT-Brass-T-Piece-Sensor-Sender-NPT-Switch/273482909894). Both bits were quite cheap on ebay, I reckon there should be enough space, we will see...

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2021, 07:05 PM
If one could source such a 90 degrees brass fitting in T shape, would there be enough space to mount both OEM and aftermarket oil pressure sensor [emoji780]

You can, but seeing that the light only comes on after you've already destroyed your engine, there's no real motivation.

How did you figure this out/verify this Snooz?

I've got an electrical gauge sender + a new adjustable switch so I can have the gauge and light (at a more suitable psi) from the same port, need to configure the adjustment though, and was planning to use gauge which I was hoping to be accurate.

I had a shop verify it vs. their gauge.

AWH
04-17-2021, 02:00 AM
You're right, I know. It's just I want to keep all my OEM systems in place. Aftermarket for actual measurements.

Oldblueaccord
04-17-2021, 10:38 AM
Those larger sensors are hard to get in there and get to be leak free. Some gauges setups have a "small" sensor instead of the big can.

Either way I pull the housing and get everything mocked up good. it will save you some cussing.

Other option on here is ,and there is a how too someplace on here, is run a hose somewhere remote and hook the sensor up that way.

InAccordance
04-19-2021, 06:29 PM

There is enough height but the issue I ran into was the water pipe, wasn't enough side clearance so I had to run a 90 degree and mount it sideways. Couldn't mount it directly in line with the filter because that gets in the way unless you ran and extension to clear it. I also dont have the stock intake so that may have something to do with clearance as well.

That's actually where I got my fitting... after shipping it was right around 30 bucks. Quite expensive considering an 90 degree with both ends in NPT is like 3 bucks here