PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt started, but not great! 88 Accord manual

pat8635
04-17-2021, 12:21 PM
So, finally got everything put back together and it started right away. Good news. The rest, well....

1. I have a cylinder not firing. Leaving that till I get the rest fixed. I pull wire from distributor and no change on 2. Plug out shows spark. I replaced plugs last time in 04 and about 50K miles ago.
2. Started and after warm, idle stays at 2200 or higher. No adjustments make a difference. Guessing Vacuum.
3. Braided fuel line is leaking where it attaches to carb.
4 Braided line from canister to back of carb seems to already have been repaired. Why in the world does that need to be braided?

Questions.
1. The check valve just before throttle diaphragm broke. I am using generic, it doesn't show in my shop manual, is it needed?
2. From above, the braided line from coal canister to carb is probably part original, Can I go to a more pliable part of cable and splice it. Does it have to be braided?
3. What other vacuum mistakes could I have made? I took pictures, Everything not connected to air cleaner is back!
4. Before I got rebuilt carb, I did a pretty extensive vacuum test...

Thanks

pat8635
04-18-2021, 12:30 PM
it seems the issue is with the choke. The only way to get idle down is to force it against the vacuum pull, I bull the hose closest to choke and engine races even more!

Oldblueaccord
04-18-2021, 12:52 PM
Couple things I would look for real quick:

Engine off! make sure the throttle blades are not hitting anything all the way open and closed. Sometimes you need to loosen the carb and wiggle it around to get everything set and free.

Vacuum leaks!

Id compression check the #2 cylinder...no compression is not gonna work well with a 4 cyl carb.

Those lines that are red I never new really what Honda was up to with them. I would say there rated more for PVC fumes(emissions) then standard lines.

pat8635
04-28-2021, 10:08 PM
It was thermovalve a not hooked up properly! Thanks

Oldblueaccord
04-29-2021, 07:26 AM
Very cool easy fixes I like!