PDA

View Full Version : Finding a reliable PS rack

pat8635
04-28-2021, 10:05 PM
After replacing the whole thing a year ago, boots both torn and lots of squeaking. What is best source for a new aka good reman PS rack?

Shane86
05-07-2021, 01:10 AM
After replacing the whole thing a year ago, boots both torn and lots of squeaking. What is best source for a new aka good reman PS rack?

I haven't had any luck with any remanufactured ones. I had one pulled from the junkyard that lasted longer. If you find a good one keep us updated

Dr_Snooz
05-07-2021, 07:33 PM
My BBB/OE-Vision is okay. Not great, but okay. It likes to follow road crown, but is solid in every other respect.

Of course, the mouse that crawled into my air ducts and died while I was doing the replacement still hasn't stopped stinking, so it may be too soon to tell. I left my doors open in the enclosed garage I was working in and suffered an apocalyptic invasion of mice as a reward for my foolhardiness. The smelly one is somewhere in my dash as a little Easter egg for me to discover one day.

ShiRen
05-10-2021, 05:48 AM
I got a seal kit for mine recently, now I converted it to a manual rack and shaved the piston off, but if your reman racks are leaking out the boots all you have to do is pull apart the passenger side of the rack, take the 4 bolts off and slide the tube off, replace seals. However, I have noticed that there is no seal in the drivers side, the boot is just supposed to hold whatever ps fluid that makes its way to the pinion, so make sure your boots are in good shape and I assume this is why we have such leaky racks. Pretty sure the driver side is always the problem side.

Oldblueaccord
05-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Lares Corporation (https://www.larescorp.com/)

I used this company for the steering box on my 74 Plymouth Scamp. Im not really sure they do steering racks but I cant really see why not.

pat8635
05-20-2021, 06:45 PM
Thanks, I found a great deal on reman, one more try. WHen to junk yard, and only one car had it, so not an unique issue!