PDA

View Full Version : Honda auto trans fluid color

pos88lx
05-12-2021, 06:42 AM
I recently was given a 88 lxi and it has a problem shifting out of 1st. Looking at the fluid in it, it looks pink like regular fluid. Is the Honda tranny fluid that color? I've been reading that you should only use genuine fluid, and maybe that is part of the problem?

ShiRen
05-12-2021, 07:54 AM
That is definitely not the problem, you will almost certainly find red/pink fluid in all automatic transmissions, Hondas being no exception. Also every owners manual will tell you to use the oem fluid, its basically advertising for them.
Owners manual points to a problem with the 2nd gear clutch, but I wouldn't be so sure. If it shifts hard in every gear I am going to assume a valve is sticky... Very common auto trans issue with age, but so is clutch slippage.

No part of me would ever want anything to do with these old ass auto trans, Im beginning to hate my manual enough. The auto trans section in the service manual is an absolute nightmare, but it starts on like page 375 or so. Here is my copy (https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3qwtw8lvptc4t1/1989%20Accord%20Service%20Manual.pdf?dl=0) Also if you need any parts I have a known decent trans sitting in my driveway rn, its going to the scrap yard, so just pay for shipping and you can have whatever you need if you lmk soon.