PDA

View Full Version : Headlights want to stay UP.

pat8635
05-20-2021, 06:53 PM
Thanks in advance for your help! Headlights were occasionally sticking up, but would decide to go down over night or after a bump and all very random. I have recently replace alternator. These random light issues where they wouldn't go down and only one or two times would pop up. After the Alternator, they stay up. I replaced the open switch in dash next to brightness and also have replace the Zener diode as you all suggested in another thread. One time I hooked it all back up, (can't remember if with new switch or diode) and the motor just started running until I disconnected the battery. I left if off for 5 minutes while I put the old switch back in and when I first installed old switch it worked find. So I took assembly back out and put the screw back in and it isn't working again. They are staying up. One thing I have noticed is that if they are supposed to be up and I turn the manual knob, it clicks and kicks back. One time time doing this, they actually closed. Everything is back together and lights are up, and was wondering where to go next. I can't even find the relays and didn't want to start taking things apart until I got some feedback.

Thanks for all the free advice!

pat8635
05-21-2021, 11:31 AM
I got emergency hospital call and drove a bit faster and hit a bump and now headlights are down. They came up with lights, and needed another bump to get them down. Guess I'm looking for something lose...

Dr_Snooz
05-22-2021, 09:36 PM
Yep. Find out where the rats got to your wires and they'll work great again. Start with the sections of wire that get flexed each time the headlights raise and lower.

pat8635
05-23-2021, 07:41 PM
I would think this car is long before earth friendly soy wires. It is actually a white wire with blue strip next to control box near left foot. I was able to "adjust it" so lights work. I'll fix when that fix stops working. Need to chase a vacuum leak more...after replacing carb.

Dr_Snooz
05-25-2021, 08:11 PM
You'd be amazed what the field mice will munch on. Remarkable creatures.

ShiRen
05-26-2021, 04:10 AM
The wht/blu wire only goes to the left retractor relay, so that's probably not the root of your problems....