PDA

View Full Version : Questions for a 85 accord, swap stuff

Westrock2000
03-09-2003, 01:15 AM
I got a friend who has an 85 accord that doesn't work very much. I havent been able to find to much about the 2nd gen Accords, but I see you can swap a B series into a 3rd gen with the place racing mounts and axels.

Now for 85 one though, I already have a B18B left over from the swap on my integra, will the gen3 mounts work in the gen2?

Also since the car is carbed, could I do an EFI conversion if I used the entire harness from the integra and its ECU as well as run some lines to the fuel take and possibly use an Integra fuel pump? Basically replacing everything with the B series stuff?

Also what kind of transmission was used in the 2nd gen? Was the clutch hydrolic or cable. The shift linkage, cable of bars?

Also will the axles that place racing sells work on the gen2?

If I can make this fun for say under 4 grand it may look feasible.

One last question. Can the JDM B20A motor that you guys talk about use a B18B head? But then again at 160HP thats better than even a B20Z from 3 years ago.

Westrock2000
03-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Also things such as AC and PS are not a big concern, this would not be a creature comfort type car. This would a beater/fun car.

I might even replace the guage cluster if they wont work with an engine.

I just know the B-series through and through, and like I said I have one sitting around doing nothing, so that takes away some of the pain.

PhydeauX
03-09-2003, 07:50 AM
There was a thread on this already, but the search function isn't turning it up.

will the gen3 mounts work in the gen2?

The later 2nd gens are similar to the 3rd gen. The engine mounts are similar, but not the same. The big diferences are the driver's side and front mounts. Everything is in just about the same place, but the diferences will keep you from being directly able to bolt the 3rd gen swap mounts in. You should be able to fabricate a way to use them pretty easily though.

Also since the car is carbed, could I do an EFI conversion if I used the entire harness from the integra and its ECU as well as run some lines to the fuel take and possibly use an Integra fuel pump? Basically replacing everything with the B series stuff?

The 2nd gen uses an external fuel pump. The easiest pump to use would be from a 2nd gen prelude Si, its a bolt in replacement. There was an SEi version of the second gen accord sold in 85. It was efi and would have all the fuel lines you would need, but isn't common. I will always recomend an aftermarket ecu, no matter what you do you're going to be rewireing, so you might as well be able to tune the thing when you're done.

Also what kind of transmission was used in the 2nd gen? Was the clutch hydrolic or cable. The shift linkage, cable of bars?

The second gen trans is quite similar to the 3rd gen. The flywheel is smaller as are the axle splines. Both have a cable clutch and rod shift linkage.

Also will the axles that place racing sells work on the gen2?

No, the axle splines are smaller.

If I can make this fun for say under 4 grand it may look feasible.

That shouldn't be a problem.

Also things such as AC and PS are not a big concern, this would not be a creature comfort type car. This would a beater/fun car.

The ac will most likly go, but the ps pump uses the same mount as the 3rd gen so the place racing adapter should work fine. Manual racks are quite common for 2nd gens though, it was standard on the base modle.

I might even replace the guage cluster if they wont work with an engine.

There shouldn't be a problem with the gages. The only issue I've had with the cluster is that the temp gagues is calibrated diferently.

The 2nd gen can be a fun car. It's aftermarket is non existant, but that just forces you to be a little creative.

andy

Coy
05-27-2006, 09:33 PM
RAISING THE DEAD!!!!
i thought the manual steering racks where only in canada on the 2g cords?

PhydeauX
05-29-2006, 04:10 PM
i thought the manual steering racks where only in canada on the 2g cords?

Your're thinking 3g accords. Base 2g accords had manual steering.

andy

Coy
05-29-2006, 04:11 PM
well hell if ida known that ida had a manual rack in mine already... damn.

PhydeauX
05-29-2006, 04:19 PM
It's a lot of work to swap the rack. IIRC you have to pull the subframe down to get it out. I never did mine because I never felt it was worth it. The ps pump isn't leaching a signifigant amount power if you're not turning the wheel so its not really worth it.

andy

Coy
05-29-2006, 04:29 PM
the pump on mine was bad so i pulled it out and trimmed back the lines already. i didnt like how it responded when it was working though either.

offthahook
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Your're thinking 3g accords. Base 2g accords had manual steering.
andy

Sorta. The four door models ALL had PS. The three door LX's ALL had PS. The three door base models with AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION had PS. Alas, the three door S model with the 5 speed transmission had manual steering.