PDA

View Full Version : can i cut my springs?

meohmy01
03-09-2003, 07:52 AM
is it possible to cut my springs, for apperance sake, without screwing everything up? keep in mind it would be a temp thing untill i can get the money to get some decent springs and shocks.

Mantis88LX
03-09-2003, 09:30 AM
yeah u can but it will ride abit bouncy, but not too bad unless u lower it way to much.

MrBen
03-09-2003, 11:37 AM
It is a real pain in the ass. I helped my friend on his and it took the entire day. BUt it looks nice.

ACCORD EX
03-09-2003, 11:45 AM
you can but it's a wrong thing to do ! the springs are designed the way they are with a certain load ! but if you cut them you are putting the same load on the same springs but shorter ! which can be very dangerous ! better do it right ( lowerting springs and shocks ) or not do it at all !

MIKE

meohmy01
03-09-2003, 01:44 PM
well if my springs and shocks shit the bed in a couple of months that's fine. im just doing it more for experiance sake. what should i use to cut them? i have access to a saws-all but that's it.

MrBen
03-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Get a welder to cut them, it goes like butter then. Hacksaw and other cutting devices take a while. Someone who knows how to weld can do it in a matter of seconds.

MrBen
03-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Also, be very careful when taking the springs off. One false move and you could get hurt bad!

meohmy01
03-09-2003, 06:57 PM
well i have my little manual. i also will have my girlfriend there to call 9-1-1. how long would it take to cut them with a good sharp metal blade on a saws-all. i know a saws-all can cut through anything and i really don't want to mess around with a welder. how much should i take off? any tips would be greatly appreciated. i know i have been warned of the concequences but i really want to do this. so if i fuck it up oh well.

MrBen
03-09-2003, 08:00 PM
On your first spring, go slow, take off like a half ring. Put it back, see how it looks. Just repeat and see how it goes. I'm not sure about cutting it, I've only seen it done with a welder. Be careful too, it's easy to scratch your paint when putting them back in.

89AcCOrDmike
03-09-2003, 08:21 PM
just remember this about lowering your car....you get what you pay for.........

Microstreak
03-09-2003, 09:30 PM
seriously, don't do it, you have to be extremely careful or the ride will be messed up as well. most likely you won't do it evenly on all 4 springs and your gonna get uneven wear all over. just get lowering springs.

Blue Impact
03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
You should wait until you get some lowering springs or coilovers. My advices are 1) get a spring compressor cuz it'll make the job much easier and 2) pay attention to ACCORD EX, GhettoAccord, and 89AcCOrDmike's advices.

AZmike
03-09-2003, 11:27 PM
I doubt that your ride quality will suffer much since the stock dampers will still be matched to the stock rate springs. It will be easier to bottom out the suspension since there will be less spring there to absorb the energy of the car hit a bump. Your alignment is likely to change also since the suspension will have a slightly different position at ride height. If you care about your tires you might want to get that checked when you're done.

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:13 AM
fjskkfds

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:19 AM
Ok I have been rideing on cut springs for about 2 years now.What ever you please use a grinder it does not heat the springs so you do not lose the temperment of your springs if you heat them you you lose it.Both my accords have cut springs they handle great and they are not that rough of a ride at all.And ya it looks great.

Heres a link to a pic of my car.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11927

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:22 AM
I just jacked my car up to do it.

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Jack the car up and start with atleast 2 springs or you wont notice anything then lower it if ur happy with the hight then do the other side.Make sure you take less of the back b/c the springs are bigger the front is a little harder then the back there is not as much room and the springs are tighter.After you cut it you have to play with it a bit to get the peace out that you cut.

1988starter
03-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Buy lovering springs and struts and do it the right way because you never want your suspension to mess up while driving.

meohmy01
03-10-2003, 09:57 AM
ok. i don't want to buy lowering springs. i did that on my 94 accord. on this one i want to try something different.

79EK1
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Cut the springs with your Sawzall, and make sure to remove the same amount from both sides (front and back will be different). Cut springs get stiffer as you shorten them, so at some point, they get too bouncy for the shocks to dampen. The car will be lower, but the ride will get harder. You can probably remove one to two coils to start, then chop 1/4 at a time until you get what you want. Be careful not to cut so much that you lose suspension travel and bottom out on every little bump. I would suggest measuring the height and driving around between cuts. It takes longer, but you won't cut too much that way. Stiffer shocks can compensate for the bounce, but cutting too much will force you to buy new springs. Whatever you do, as Elijah said, don't use a torch to cut or heat the springs to relax them. I've been driving on cut springs for a year with no problems. The front end is stiffer and lower, and that's what I was looking for.

meohmy01
03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
ok. that's cool. but im not sure how much i can cut them and still have my rims and tires fit under them. anyone know how tall a 16 inch rim with a decent side wall is. i think i measured like 23 1/2 a while ago but i can't remeber. id measure them now but they are the winter rims on my 5th gen which is at the shop for the moment.

MrBen
03-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Don't cut more than one ring at a time! Do it a half ring at a time. You can't glue it back on.

MrBen
03-10-2003, 12:52 PM
As for using a torch, it does not make a difference. By the time you get it back on your car and all set up it will be cold. If it is warm, wait. It is much easier to use it if you have the supplies, but if you don't, the saw will work fine!

slammedLXI
03-10-2003, 01:15 PM
theres nothing wrong with cutting springs... i wish i did it before i bought my coilovers... my gf just had the springs cut on her del sol and it rides so nice... not bouncy at all im jealous. hers is like an inch higher than mine, i guess 1 inch makes a big difference...

meohmy01
03-10-2003, 02:24 PM
well anyone who has cut their springs im looking to know much you cut off and how much it was lowered. how long will it take with a saws all?

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
I cut 4-5 coils off the front and 3 in the back.It will not take to long do it while they are still on ur car it's not that hard.I have 16'' rims and they dont rub at all.And it is a nice ride.Look at the link to my car and see if its to low or not.do not quote me on the number of springs I dont remember the exact number I cut out.But it was atleast 4 in the front I think more.

meohmy01
03-10-2003, 02:50 PM
ok. im looking for like a 2 inch drop. not that extreme. i live in new england where there are lots of bumps. my 94 was lowered 2.25 and it crunches at least once a week.

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:52 PM
I would start with 2 please dont take ur springs it is a pain in the a$$.Get a little $20 grinder it is worth it.

meohmy01
03-10-2003, 02:53 PM
please don't what? and would i take the same amount off of the back and the front or what?

Elijah
03-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Dont take the springs of ur car to do it just jack it up and I would take alittle less of the back.When you look at the springs you will see what I'am talking about.

Gregs89AccordLxi
03-12-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Elijah
Dont take the springs of ur car to do it just jack it up and I would take alittle less of the back.When you look at the springs you will see what I'am talking about.

Hey Elijah u mean u can cut the springs while there on your car, isnt there alot of pressure on the springs?

MrBen
03-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Cutting the springs while they're on the car is stupid. Do it right and take them off. And do it slow, give yourself some time, make sure you do a good job and not go quickly like some of the other members say.