PDA

View Full Version : dist cap seal?

InAccordance
09-30-2021, 06:06 PM
so since I had the car apart I was addressing some other minor issues, one being the distributor advance being loose and wiggling around. Probably why I've been getting random spitting out the carb throats...
Anyway, so the seal around the cap is basically destroyed and I peeled off what was left. Problem is now I cant find that particular seal or gasket anywhere. Is it not made anymore or what? Every cap I've bought doesn't come with one.
All that shows up is the mounting o-ring and another internal seal.

ShiRen
10-01-2021, 04:49 AM
I've never seen one, the dizzies don't even have an embossed area for an oring except where the wires go in. I have never seen any issues with it sealing either, but I wouldn't recommend spraying it with water with the car on. I assume you have the TEC?

InAccordance
10-01-2021, 02:05 PM
TEC yea. There was the remains of a seal there. Tightening down the cap, there is a noticeable gap between the cap and body of the distributor like something should be there..

ShiRen
10-04-2021, 05:32 AM
That's strange... I put a paper gasket on my old TEC, but it didn't do anything functional, probably wasn't water tight and the cap seated flat anyway. At some point I am going to sound like a broken record, but I'd swap the TEC out for a hitachi anyway, they're a lot nicer made.

Dr_Snooz
10-06-2021, 08:26 PM
The only oring they had was a very thin oring that ran in a groove in the cap. I haven't had one for years and haven't noticed the difference. The cap should draw up tight against the housing though. You should get that figured out.

ShiRen
10-07-2021, 05:22 AM
I don't know of any aftermarket cap that still uses an oring. I know for a fact the one I put on my TEC, I think it was from autozone, did not have a groove for it, hence why I thought it was necessary to make a paper gasket. Neither of my Hitachi caps had one either. Oem might have had one.