PDA

View Full Version : Few Problems with Car and Transmission

asianwills
11-19-2021, 09:49 PM
If you know me on here, then you might know that I have had to replace my clutch. I got everything back together and was excited to start it. It didn’t start too bad. A little bit of smoking, which I am assuming it is just burning of a few spilt oils. What I am more worried about is a little bit of a slapping sound towards the center of the engine or below it. I am just hoping that it is a cable under or behind just slapping.
The worst thing is that when I start, and when I push the clutch pedal all the way in; it doesn’t shift to first. When I try to shift to reverse it making a grinding sound. Although, when the car is off the all the gears shift fine. I’m pretty devastated, I’m just looking for some advice or information. Thanks.

InAccordance
11-20-2021, 01:46 PM
1st step is to adjust clutch cable all the way until the arm the cable is connected to doesnt move. At this point, the throw out bearing is resting against the fingers of the pressure plate (you don't want this). Now adjust cable a few turns until you get a few millimeters of play. Should be able to wiggle the arm a bit and hear the bearing tapping against the pressure plate. I think the tolerance for wiggle room is like 1/4 inch but I cant remember for sure.