PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Honda Accord LX high idle

amansalman
01-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Hey guys I had this problem with my 88 and was wondering if you guys would know what's wrong. When I start the car up, it idles high which is no problem what so ever. However, the idle stays at about 1500 and doesn't drop. When I put it into drive or reverse, it drops to normal idle speed. When I put it back into park, the idle rises again to 1500. Do you guys know what's wrong or could it be something to do with a butterfly valve/bad carb. The carb was replaced less than 1,000 miles ago though. Thank you guys so much.

Oldblueaccord
01-16-2022, 01:41 PM
https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php/46572-Idle-Adjustment-amp-Emissions-Help-includes-PCV-and-Black-Box-info

id read thru this thread. I under stand its a little wordy but it has some meaningful info on it. I would also follow the manual which can be downloaded here.

The idle can be turned down but I suspect its turned up because the car was stalling.

Since the carb was put on less than 1000 miles I would at some installation mistakes like a vacuum leak or the throttle linkage is set too tight.

Dr_Snooz
01-16-2022, 09:37 PM
Check for vacuum leaks.

amansalman
01-20-2022, 06:20 AM
Thank you! This will definitely help.