PDA

View Full Version : throw shifter

hatrick6
03-09-2003, 01:01 PM
ok, so i have an '89 accord lxi, so what will a throw shifter do for my car? correct me if i am wrong hear, but it will improve my shifting response time right? so i guess the real question is, is it really worth buying one and installing it? will i get that much better of a response time out of it?

AZmike
03-09-2003, 01:06 PM
All it does is reduce the distance you move the shifter to change gears. Since you're moving it a shorter distance and you must do the same amount of work, a larger force is typically required.

djimass
03-09-2003, 02:14 PM
I have a Pacesetter short throw shifter in my car along with the Polyurethane bushings, and I love it. Performance-wise, it makes absolutely no difference. But the shifter feels more solid and the thrrows are much shorter. I test drove new(er) vehicles in the past 4 weeks (I'm looking at a 2000 Civic SiR or a 2003 Mazda Protege 5), and every time I test drive a different vehicle, I tell myself that my first modification will be a short shifter.

Grant2k
03-10-2003, 10:45 AM
i have the pacesetter short throw too, and i would say it's a nice cheap upgrade, but you can find other things to spend the money on.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
i have the pacesetter short throw too, and i would say it's a nice cheap upgrade, but you can find other things to spend the money on.

Like women

markmdz89hatch
03-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
All it does is reduce the distance you move the shifter to change gears. Since you're moving it a shorter distance and you must do the same amount of work, a larger force is typically required.

I agree 100%. I don't have a short shifter on my 3G, but I've driven plenty of other cars that do, and it does require a little more elbow to change gears. I think it's really a matter of preference honestly. Some like the added 'tension' on the shifter. To some it gives a more 'sport' feel. To others, such as some of the veteran auto-x'ers I hang with at the auto-x, they refuse to drive a car with a short shifter, they say they shift faster with the stock shifter.

Personally, I think I'll do the short throw shifter b/c after having the Z, I like that little bit of tension on the shifter.

2old_honda
03-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by djimass
I have a Pacesetter short throw shifter in my car along with the Polyurethane bushings, and I love it. Performance-wise, it makes absolutely no difference. But the shifter feels more solid and the thrrows are much shorter. I test drove new(er) vehicles in the past 4 weeks (I'm looking at a 2000 Civic SiR or a 2003 Mazda Protege 5), and every time I test drive a different vehicle, I tell myself that my first modification will be a short shifter.

where did you get the poly bushings?

PhydeauX
03-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Energy suspension makes a shift bushing kit for the 84-87(I think) civic. Its a perfect fit for the 3rd gen accord.

andy

djimass
03-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Andy is right. The 84-87 Civic/CRX bushings also work on the 3rd gen Accord. It's great to reduce the sloppiness of the stock shifter. I installed both the shifter and the bushings at the same time so i wouldn't be able to tell you which made the biggest difference.