PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Accord LX 4 door 5 speed manual with carbs

Gunter
11-18-2022, 09:11 AM
My parents purchased their 1986 Accord new from the dealeraship. It was well maintained. It was never in a collision. It only has 143,000 miles (230,000 kms). The interior is immaculate. There is a small amount of rust near the rear wells. They recently gifted the car to my son for his 16th birthday. Lucky kid!

I am helping my son learn how to work on his own car. We recently replaced the timing belt (it had never been replaced), waterpump, main front crankshaft seal, front camshaft seal, alternator belt, power steering belt, both tie rods, both lower ball joints and both CV axles.

The resonator pipe (Honda calls it a "B" pipe part # 18220SE0A26) has rusted out and needs to be replaced. It has been discontinued by Honda and I can't find an aftermarket version. Seems like Walker and Bosal discontinued theirs.

I have tired eBay, Amazon, RockAuto, CarID, PartsAvatar, Car Geeks, Napa and O'Reilley with zero luck.

Besides a junk yard, any suggestions?

Thanks.

RI86DX
11-18-2022, 12:11 PM
Fabricate one. Get a metal shop to do one for you.

conozo
11-18-2022, 01:22 PM
If its still in one piece you can take it off and bring it to a muffler shop and they can either make you a new one or repair it.

Gunter
11-18-2022, 01:48 PM
I drove into a muffler shop, explained what I needed (the cat and muffler both look fine) and the shop (without looking at my car) quoted me $360. They told me they were too busy and to come back the next day. Considering the pipe is lised on CAR ID for $68, $360 is a little more than I was hoping to pay.

I might try conozo's suggestion and take off the pipe and bring that into a shop. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jinnai
11-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Try a different shop for sure, and it will definitely be more affordable if you bring the pipe instead.