PDA

View Full Version : To rebuild or replace

temrinal
12-26-2022, 05:38 AM
Ive recently stumbled upon 600$, and I recently found a solid amount of bearing shavings at the bottom of my oil pan in the middle of doing the oil pan gasket. After I seen that, I kept the pan off and its just been sitting. Ive sprayed it with wd40 so nothin rusts, but I cant stand to see it sit anymore. I bought standard sized bearings, and im going to try to swap out the bearings to buy some time (yeah im plastigaging). Id like to do a full rebuild, but getting the crank miked (cuz worst case scenario it needs to be) seems like too much work and replacing any other broken thing I find while rebuilding. Id replace the big stuff obvy (Bearings, pistons, rings, gaskets) but im worried of what else I could find broken on the motor while rebuilding like i said earlier and itd be a money pit more than it already is. I have found some motors being sold out of state, but that comes with its own problems regarding getting it over here. Theres a good amount of options on car-part.com, and they are a little cheaper than a rebuild would be, but im just kind of confused on how that would all work. No local options for parts cars.
so basically

Rebuilding
pros: experience and knowledge for later work, same motor and can build the motor with more quality parts, bragging rights?
cons: could find more things wrong with it, money pit, worst case scenario I do something wrong

Buying
pros: complete working motor, can drop right in, low mileage options
cons: pretty much just finding a way to get it here and finding what to do with the motor

I just need an opinion(s) on what I should do from some people that have done rebuilds, and people that make good decisions. Thank you guys very much for any help and feel free to ask any questions. :D

also mind the green colored oil in the photos, was using UV oil dye to find my oil leak

conozo
12-26-2022, 06:05 AM
If it were me i would put those bearings on and run it. Its not as good as a full rebuild but im sure it would run just fine for several years and in the meantime you can still drive the car and look for a spare engine to rebuild and drop in at a later time.

Gatttagofast
04-04-2023, 10:42 PM
I'm in the same hole as you bought my car for $500 it has a knock I drove it from Kentucky to Ohio with the knocking BTW I did an oil change and found glitter everywhere, most of the motors are located west near California sadly now I'm debating if I should replace the bearings or get another engine, I might just replace the bearings and call it a day depending how bad the crank is lol

ShiRen
04-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Bro, no way the crank is good after driving with a knock, it's actually a wonder it didn't seize