PDA

View Full Version : PCV valve location? 86 Accord

Gunter
01-15-2023, 11:25 AM
1986 Accord LX with carbs and manual transmission. I am wanting to replace the PCV valve as preventative maintenance, but I can't find it. Looking at the rudimentary drawing in the shop manual, it appears to be located between the engine and the firewall. I have purchased the replacement PCV valve, so I know what it looks like. But I still can't find it. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

RI86DX
01-15-2023, 02:21 PM
A20A1 should only have one carb...you sure it's not a different motor?

Gunter
01-15-2023, 02:53 PM
Yes a single stock carb. My bad for not being more precise.

Everything is factory stock. We are the original owners of the car and there has been no modifications to anything.

Gunter
01-15-2023, 03:05 PM
This is a photo of the replacement PCV valve. It measures 1 and 3/4 of an inch. I can't find anything like it under the hood. Hopefully they sold me the correct one.

Oldblueaccord
01-15-2023, 05:38 PM
This is a photo of the replacement PCV valve. It measures 1 and 3/4 of an inch. I can't find anything like it under the hood. Hopefully they sold me the correct one.

The hose goes to the valve cover try following it back to the intake manifold. The PVC is in the intake manifold someplace.

Gunter
01-15-2023, 05:44 PM
The hose goes to the valve cover try following it back to the intake manifold. The PVC is in the intake manifold someplace.

That's where I have been looking, but I can't find it. I will try removing the air filter assembly to get a better view.

Oldblueaccord
01-15-2023, 05:49 PM
That's where I have been looking, but I can't find it. I will try removing the air filter assembly to get a better view.

I think the underhood sticker should show it.

Sorry I dont have a carbed car and havent worked on one in a long time.

Gunter
01-15-2023, 06:32 PM
Unfortunately the under hood emissions sticker isn't of any help. No diagram and no mention of a PCV. This is a Canadian edition so the top half is in French and the bottom half is in English.

Next weekend I will try pulling off the air filter assembly to get a better look.

Gunter
01-15-2023, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately the under hood emissions sticker isn't of any help. No diagram and no mention of a PCV. This is a Canadian edition so the top half is in French and the bottom half is in English.

Next weekend I will try pulling off the air filter assembly to get a better look.

ShiRen
01-15-2023, 06:49 PM
It's basically dead center of the intake manifold. 1 big hose coming off it, I believe it's a U shaped hose.

I would actually be careful replacing it, those hoses will crack and you can't replace it with normal hose due to the silly shape. I'd return the valve even, not a lot to go wrong in a metal valve with a ball and a spring in it... If it was ever stuck carb cleaner and a small amount of blunt force will fix it

Gunter
01-15-2023, 06:57 PM
It's basically dead center of the intake manifold. 1 big hose coming off it, I believe it's a U shaped hose.

I would actually be careful replacing it, those hoses will crack and you can't replace it with normal hose due to the silly shape. I'd return the valve even, not a lot to go wrong in a metal valve with a ball and a spring in it... If it was ever stuck carb cleaner and a small amount of blunt force will fix it

That sounds like good advice. I think I will leave it alone until it starts to cause some problems.

Getting parts for this car is becoming challenging and I don't want to break anything during the disassembly process.

I also found this post which basically says the same thing i.e. parts are brittle

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php/66470-pcv-valve-location

"it is right in front of the carb, there is a hole made in the manifold there and you will see a U shaped short fat hose. the pvc is directly under that hose. There is a hard plastic tube that snaps in that hold made in the manifold from underneath. Careful because all that is brittle."

Gunter
01-15-2023, 06:59 PM
Thanks for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

RI86DX
01-16-2023, 01:49 PM
Yes a single stock carb. My bad for not being more precise.

Everything is factory stock. We are the original owners of the car and there has been no modifications to anything.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry for sounding pedantic.
As far as parts availability, Rockauto & Ebay. Apparently RA doesn't ship to Canada so that sucks.