PDA

View Full Version : My transmission is busted

Jinnai
02-06-2023, 03:47 PM
I've been putting this off for a while, but it is pretty annoying sometimes - reverse and 5th dont work in my 3rd gen accord, manual. They used to, 5th didn't and then I replaced the gear and it started working, but then one day it stuck in reverse, and so to get it out I dropped the clutch while it was stuck there, and it worked, but it couldn't go back into reverse, or also 5th. Don't know if 5th is connected to the issue, but it doesn't affect me much, I can use 4th.

Any idea what broke or where I can find a new manual transmission?

RI86DX
02-07-2023, 05:01 PM
Did some searching...there's really not one mfg that makes an MT rebuild kit for these cars?

Jinnai
02-11-2023, 07:22 PM
Well, not that I've found! But I don't think it needs rebuilt, only 5th and reverse died. I don't know anything about transmissions, but I feel like something snapped when I dropped the clutch, idk what but something that probably wouldn't come with a rebuild kit. Sometimes when coasting in neutral (I believe) you can hear a rattling sound coming from the transmission. Sometimes if you succeed in making reverse work it gets stuck again and you don't know if it can escape again.

With that being said I do have a spare rebuild kit if needed :)

conozo
02-13-2023, 05:08 AM
When you say stuck in reverse do you mean you couldn't move the shifter out of reverse gear?

Correct, there are no real rebuild kits for these cars, you can get synchros and bearings but thats it. None of the other parts.

Jinnai
02-15-2023, 05:37 PM
Yep, at the time I could not move it out of reverse. Now most of the time it simply does not go into reverse. But on the rare occasion it does, it may get stuck or it may be fine.

ShiRen
02-16-2023, 04:53 PM
I wonder if the 5th gear detent ring is just broke. I mean if it is, the trans is probably buggered up, but it might get you down the road if it's fixed

Jinnai
02-17-2023, 09:06 PM
Alright! I'm not sure if that could affect reverse, but it probably would be wise to pop off the 5th gear transmission cover and look at it, since it's not so hard to do.

conozo
02-18-2023, 08:04 PM
I was looking at the diagram and 5th and reverse are on the same shift fork. There is this interlock that i was questioning, im not exactly sure what it does there. Does it make it harder to shift into reverse maybe?

Oldblueaccord
02-19-2023, 08:08 PM
I would at least think about pulling the the 5th gear out and cleaning out all the metal if your gonna keep driving it. Otherwise there wont be much to rebuild.

conozo
02-20-2023, 09:53 AM
Learned something today. The interlock keeps the transmission from being in two gears at the same time. Possible it was jammed.

Oldblueaccord
02-20-2023, 02:59 PM
Learned something today. The interlock keeps the transmission from being in two gears at the same time. Possible it was jammed.

Yes for most modern manual trans they have a reverse lock out. So when you go into reverse stationary you have to push a little down and over on alot of trans.

...and like you said it keeps you from going to reverse while moving...:beat:

Jinnai
02-24-2023, 08:20 PM
reverse lock out hmm... Well, I wasn't moving, so I don't know why it tried to prevent me, but yeah I guess the 5th gear shift fork might be dead now. Good idea about cleaning out the transmission, I do need to use the car if I can.

ShiRen
02-27-2023, 04:33 PM
Just pull the cover off, it's like 8 bolts through the wheel well.