PDA

View Full Version : Cheddas outer tie rods

Gabezermeno
06-28-2023, 09:50 AM
My car has bump steer. It's lowered on ground control coilovers and it's noticable. Cheddas says the bump steer outer tie rods are for track use. Is there a problem with running them on the street?

ShiRen
06-29-2023, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't. There are a lot of issues with that type of tie rod, like how they bolt on and geometry. How low specifically? I had the same issues with my car before I even lowered it, its probably a factor of worn components and alignment. If you are lower than like 2.5" you are asking for it though, there are probably a lot of other drivability issues that you are ignoring.
If you have disabled the power steering that is probably exasperating what you are feeling. I actually don't think my car has bump steer (though I haven't made bump steer gauges to check it) it is actually high jacking forces due to a large amount of caster. The difference is jacking forces pull the wheel, bump steer doesn't. I don't have power steering, so sudden forces in the suspension can easily overpower my inputs to the wheel.
If you wheel is indeed moving, measure and take some caster out, if you aren't going for a track alignment.

Oldblueaccord
07-05-2023, 01:59 PM
My car has bump steer. It's lowered on ground control coilovers and it's noticable. Cheddas says the bump steer outer tie rods are for track use. Is there a problem with running them on the street?

Most likely they will wear out pretty quick. The way the are sealed it is hard to keep dirt out of them. Heim joints are used in industrial applications and they require alot of maintenance.

You might see if you can move the steering rack around and get the geometry you want. I have seen it done on other cars but not these.

ShiRen
07-05-2023, 06:06 PM
Would be hard since the rack sits inside the cross member

conozo
07-07-2023, 08:56 AM
The track use / road use thing is really for legality. Doesn't mean the parts are good or bad.