PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Honda Accord LXI, idle fluctuating,AC not blowing cold,alt replacement

PNW541
07-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Hello, I recently bought a 1987 Honda Accord LXi automatic sedan that had been sitting for over 5 years. I ended up getting it started. It had an overheating issue but I solved it by flushing coolant and replacing the thermostat.

One problem I'm having now is the battery sensor on which I was told I'm going to be needing a new alternator. I ordered an alternator. My question was if anyone has any tips or tricks on the best way to replace the alternator.

My idle seems to be fluctuating frequently I was wondering if anybody has any information on the idle air control valve and how to adjust it.

My AC is not blowing cold at all. Any information on that I would appreciate.

Oldblueaccord
07-03-2023, 09:02 PM
I would verify the battery voltage car off and then running and compare the two. Car running should be about 14VDC. if the alt light is on good chance the alternator is actually bad.

If you drained and filled the coolant you need to bleed the air out of it. There is a bleeder on the thermostat housing. This will also effect your idle if there is air trapped in the coolant system.

conozo
07-07-2023, 08:50 AM
You can replace the alternator from the top, no need to work under the car. Think there is only three bolts holding it on, Two that secure it to the bracket and one to tighten/loosen the belt adjustment.

As for the AC, check the fuses but it probably had its freon leak out. Look at the entire AC system, hoses, condensor in front of the radiator for any leaks, it will look wet or oily in that area of the leak most of the time.