PDA

View Full Version : 89 SEi starter replacement how to?

Kejar7
07-09-2023, 07:53 PM
Looks like my project needs a replacement starter. Darn looks like my hands are too big to fit.
Does anyone have a how to do it thread, or some pictures. Mine is the 2 litre fi automatic.
Thanks
Rick

conozo
07-10-2023, 06:44 AM
(I'm guessing on bolt sizes below)
Its a pretty easy job.

-It may make the job easier if you remove the air intake tube between the engine and near the battery
-Disconnect the negative battery terminal
-Use a long extension 10or12mm to unbolt the battery cable going from the positive on the battery to the starter
-Use another long extension 14-16mm to unbolt the two large bolts holding the starter on. These have pretty long threads and the starter should get very loose when you start to loosen the bolts.

You can do all this work standing on the passenger side near the vacuum tube black box on the firewall.

Kejar7
07-10-2023, 03:36 PM
(I'm guessing on bolt sizes below)
Its a pretty easy job.

-It may make the job easier if you remove the air intake tube between the engine and near the battery
-Disconnect the negative battery terminal
-Use a long extension 10or12mm to unbolt the battery cable going from the positive on the battery to the starter
-Use another long extension 14-16mm to unbolt the two large bolts holding the starter on. These have pretty long threads and the starter should get very loose when you start to loosen the bolts.

You can do all this work standing on the passenger side near the vacuum tube black box on the firewall.

Thanks looks like a real pain to get to but I will keep trying.
So started looking for a used starter and I get asked if it is a nipendenso (sp) or another manufacturer that the name escapes me. How do I tell them apart?

Jamnar_V
07-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Mitsuba is two round bodies, one is the solenoid and the other is the starter motor. FYI, Rock Auto is only showing the Mitsuba for the 1989 Accord with automatic.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=13468681&cc=1166969&pt=4152&jsn=834

Nippondenso is one round body and a cast aluminum body with a steel cover plate on the back. The round body is the starter motor and the cast body is the solenoid.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=534871&cc=1166969&pt=4152&jsn=825