PDA

View Full Version : Front light swap ca5 to ca3

MofP
08-15-2023, 11:47 AM
Good day! I am new here, my name is Alex, i am from Moldova. I am a happy owner of Accord 89 ca5.
I want to realize little project of swaping front headlights, and make it "blind" version (from ca5 to ca3)
I have made a research about details, which i have to replace, BUT i am not sure that i am right on 100% so i want to discuss it with you guys, maybe someone had such experience.
So, i have to replace
1) hood
2) R and L front fenders
3) front grill, between lights
4) 2 front headlights + motors which controls them
5) 2 turn light signals
6) don't know how in english (look screens) those uppers mounts for radiator and headlights system
7) still try to understand where is electric control unit, which controls motors, i hope somebody will be able to help me. But if i cann't find it i am planning to make cheap and simple control motor system with additional button.

Thank for attention and sorry for my english

ShiRen
08-16-2023, 03:50 PM
The electronics are a bit tricky, you also need the dash switch that goes by the interior light dimmer and the rear defrost button. Iirc the controller is somewhere in the driver foot well, I don't remember which module it is. However, you can get the USDM manual off this forum, that will at least show you all of the components and the circuit diagrams. I would not suggest trying to wire them up on your own, the circuit is complicated for a reason. There might also be a wire that goes from the headlight switch to the controller, I don't remember though. Really I would suggest just replacing the entire harness, this isn't a small undertaking

Also, pretty sure the section of the front of the car that the headlights bolt to doesn't unbolt, pretty sure those are welded.

MofP
08-17-2023, 12:14 PM
Thank you for reply.

Also, pretty sure the section of the front of the car that the headlights bolt to doesn't unbolt, pretty sure those are welded

This is not a big problem, i can cut and weld it as i need. The most problem is electric scheme. And as you said, it is comlicated.

I have an idea, how to make simple and cheap variant. I can set headlights motors on additional button, and twist motor in 2 directions. But here i want to understand how it originally works. I hope you would help me to understand.

I tried to draw a scheme:
So 1 position is "closed"
To open headlight motor twists in "green arrow" direction and drags the headlight and it is opening.
Where does motor twist to close the headlight? Does it twist backward direction (red arrow) or it goes same direction as when it opens it(like train wheel works)?

Thanks,

ShiRen
08-18-2023, 12:46 PM
In the down position the motors are roughly inline with the linkage. To go up they rotate about 180 degrees, but I think the actual angle is set by the knob on the top, mine go further it seems.

Honestly, with the complexity of the circuit it may be easier to control 2 stepper motors with an Arduino. Home the motors on the stops in the closed position, to open go 1/2 rotation + x amount of steps to reach the fully open position, and logic wise they just need to open when the lights receive power or the dash button is depressed. Then you would only need the body parts and the only thing you'd have to do to the existing harness is tap into a headlight wire.

https://pixelfed.de/storage/m/_v2/280347239405195264/c51ea9690-856390/sUXfqD9cQY1i/aE7LyGewijskYgM7yPGH7HDtEdkkpQL1HNJRnRTN.jpg

MofP
08-20-2023, 10:54 AM
Made a research about Arduino, it sounds like a nice plan, tnx!

ShiRen
08-20-2023, 11:43 AM
There are other things you could use too, like a raspberry pi pico. There's a bunch of Chinese clones that will probably work too. If you decide to go that route, but the python coding is daunting I can probably help.