PDA

View Full Version : Best ceramic brake pads to reduce brake dust on my '86 Accord?

Shervin
02-09-2024, 01:12 PM
I've been trying to find a set of ceramic brake pads for the front of my 1986 Accord LX Sedan. The wheels get super dusty super fast, and it's quite annoying. The rest of the car will look pristine, but the front wheels will look like they were just driven across the country. My 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD had the same problem when I bought it, but when I installed Akebono ceramic brake pads, the brake dust became almost nonexistent.

I'm trying to find a good quality brake pad that will significantly reduce brake dust, but I'm having trouble finding anything with good reviews. Akebono's brake pads show up as incompatible with the '86 Accord, but for some reason show up as compatible with the '86 Prelude. Not sure if there is any difference between the front brakes of those two models. Could it just be a clerical error and the brake pads will actually work on the Accord?

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.

Oldblueaccord
02-09-2024, 06:22 PM
I've been trying to find a set of ceramic brake pads for the front of my 1986 Accord LX Sedan. The wheels get super dusty super fast, and it's quite annoying. The rest of the car will look pristine, but the front wheels will look like they were just driven across the country. My 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300SD had the same problem when I bought it, but when I installed Akebono ceramic brake pads, the brake dust became almost nonexistent.

I'm trying to find a good quality brake pad that will significantly reduce brake dust, but I'm having trouble finding anything with good reviews. Akebono's brake pads show up as incompatible with the '86 Accord, but for some reason show up as compatible with the '86 Prelude. Not sure if there is any difference between the front brakes of those two models. Could it just be a clerical error and the brake pads will actually work on the Accord?

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks.

Your LX probably has the smaller brake package on it so there are actually two different pads for the front of our car. D334 should be yours and the bigger brake cars is D409 but double check me.

There are some Raybestos ones on Rockauto for 7$. I always liked that brand. You could also try Wagners. Neither of those should dust very bad and the performance is pretty good.

In general high performance brake pads more dust and more noise.

ShiRen
02-10-2024, 04:16 AM
I used to run Wagner metalics and those weren't even that bad on dust. I don't like the performance of ceramics, so I don't buy them. There's actually not that many ceramics available, Bosch makes one in their blue compound, it's probably good.

If you go to rockauto and look at front brakes for an 86/87 you'll narrow it down to the small brakes only

Shervin
02-12-2024, 12:05 PM
Thanks, guys. I ended up going with Posi-Quiet ceramics. Hopefully they do what I need them to do.

Here's what I heard back from Akebono, for posterity:

Your Accord takes the D334. We do not make this shape.

The Prelude takes the D334 or D256. We do not make either of them.

Their own website shows that they make rear brake pads for the 1986 Prelude (part number ACT374), but it doesn't specify which trim level. Oh well, they wouldn't fit my car anyway.

conozo
02-20-2024, 10:57 AM
The accords had two different brake sizes, basically carb and Fuel Injected

DX-LX are smaller (minimum wheel diameter is 13")

LXI-SEI are larger (minimum wheel diameter is 14")

Alot is different actually, Rotors, calipers, pads, knuckle, hub

I dont have any suggestions on good brake pads but in my opinion the rotors/pads are too small on these cars. Yes they can stop the car quickly but they wear much faster than modern cars brakes. I see why Honda did what they did though, the smaller brake package does help reduce rotational mass and improves handling, unsprung weight, MPG, etc.

ShiRen
02-20-2024, 07:13 PM
86/87 LXi has the small brakes