PDA

View Full Version : 87 LXI questions

Salehwater
04-10-2024, 07:20 AM
So I got an 87lxi A20A3 I changed out the head cylinder on it. Put everything back together and now It starts up idle is smooth but it’s really sluggish in first gear. When I rev the engine to 3000 RPMs the PGM-FI comes on the engine starts shaking the light will blink a couple of times then go away. When I drive it and come to complete stop the car will just shut off. I’ve changed out all the gaskets and Orings that are required for the head change, valves are adjusted to spec from the service manual, timing is set as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salehwater
04-10-2024, 07:25 AM
Sorry I accidentally hit create.
It’s has a new distributor and cap and rotor. New fuel pump
My questions are can i delete the egr valve?
Is it possible to delete the black vacuum box? I’ve seen that you can do it the carb version but not much information on the fuel injection.
If I change out the fuel filter will that fix my problems?

Oldblueaccord
04-10-2024, 03:13 PM
Sorry I accidentally hit create.
It’s has a new distributor and cap and rotor. New fuel pump
My questions are can i delete the egr valve?
Is it possible to delete the black vacuum box? I’ve seen that you can do it the carb version but not much information on the fuel injection.
If I change out the fuel filter will that fix my problems?

Right now. I would check the timing belt is on correct and not a tooth or more off.

Jinnai
04-10-2024, 03:19 PM
Did it work before you changed the head, or how different is this problem from the one it had before you did that? Is the fact that it dies when you come to a stop related to temperature?

conozo
04-10-2024, 06:42 PM
You need to count the blinks on the PGM-FI light under the seat and see what it thinks is wrong. It could be as simple as a wire not firmly connected in the engine bay.

Salehwater
04-11-2024, 05:12 AM
The car worked up until the timing belt gave out and bent the valves on the old head. Looked over the belt yesterday and it’s on correctly and is on tight enough. The ecu under the driver seat doesn’t give out any blinks.

Salehwater
04-11-2024, 05:14 AM
It will still stall out if it’s at operating temp as well.

Salehwater
04-11-2024, 11:14 AM
A bit more information for yall I did a smoke and vacuum test. Only leaks from the smoke test were a couple Orings and clamps changed them out did the smoke test again no leaks. For the vacuum test The only line that didn’t have only vacuum was line 12.

conozo
04-12-2024, 04:54 AM
Do you have all the air out of the coolant system? Having air in the coolant can cause the car to stall during idle.