PDA

View Full Version : is this a good $ for cv joints?

dosh8er
03-10-2003, 09:24 AM
Yo everybody, haven't had much time to cruise the board here with midterms and crap, but now that I have some time with spring break, I'm going to be doing some work on my car. I need new driveshaft/cv joints, and I got a quote on a set, $59.99 for each side, plus $50.00 core charge (USD). Is this a pretty consistent price ? I will probably be going out today to purchase them, so let me know your thoughts.

DBMaster
03-10-2003, 11:09 AM
That's cheaper than any price I have ever seen. Where did you get that price?

I have seen $79.99 at a place in Fort Worth that does nothing but rebuild axles. Everything else I have seen was higher than that.

dXsquared
03-10-2003, 11:12 AM
thats a killer price... up here we pay like 100 USD for each side

Travis

dosh8er
03-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Hehe... I bought em... That price was from my local Autozone (man i spend a lot of money there!).

dXsquared
03-10-2003, 01:05 PM
you should send me some... how much were they in USD total?

i might pay you to send some if they are better price then up here

Travis

mzabeefy
03-10-2003, 03:47 PM
here @ autozone they are 50 dollars with a 45 dollar core charge. They were out of stock, so i went to Advance auto and they had them for 60 dollars

dXsquared
03-10-2003, 03:53 PM
so its 95 then you get 45 back?

Travis

mzabeefy
03-10-2003, 04:21 PM
yes, that is correct :D

greekguy7
03-10-2003, 07:19 PM
You install them yet? Some folks have problems taking the 32mm spindle nut off, others dont. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dosh8er
03-10-2003, 07:32 PM
FSCK! Yeah, that's a bitch that makes me wonder if this is really worth it..

I had no problems taking the 32mm nut off... i've had it off MANY times before. I had a little trouble with the castle nut on the lower ball joint, but it came off. That's good.. now the bitch of them all, the mofo.

HOW THE HELL do you get the CV joint/driveshaft OUT through the dampner fork?!?!?!?

Answer: I haven't yet... I pulled out the old torch (oxy), heated some bolts up, and damn.

So here's my dilemna, yes, I have a problem: I NEED that damn fork apart so that I can slide the old driveshaft out/new driveshaft in. But I fscked up the bushing now since I used that torch. And Now the bolt turns and turns, but no progress. I think the treads are shot, which isn't a big deal since there's that nut on the end of the entire assembly. So I need to get a new bolt and I should be good, BUT I NEED THE BOLT out first.. :burn:

Anyone? I am in need of some advice/comments/suggestions/etc.

Good thing I decided to venture in on this during spring break. But being 15 degrees outside makes it very very cold, and very very... well, you can imagine, I'm sure many of you have been there with me.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 02:00 AM
I plan to do my cv joints soon. I'm trying to do my research on them first. Did you get the bolt out? Are the cv joints in and working?

c20v6turbo3rdgen
04-14-2003, 11:29 AM
i just found out after I put my 17' Katanas on my car i had a cracked cv boot. I bought mine for 45 cause my girlfriend works for a parts company and she delivers parts. she told me that i have a defect boot. the problem is that the company just shut down last Saturday and I found out about it on Sunday. I was so pissed..wait I still am. i just bought a cluth for my car for $50 and a rack and pinion for $50 from there and Iam hoping that does not go out....

BigCook
04-14-2003, 06:30 PM
I got the whole axle with joints for $35 per side at advance auto.