PDA

View Full Version : Installing Distributer

2Fast_Fiero
03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
On the 88A20A3 how do I find "Dead Center"? I am puting the 87 Distributer on the 88A20A3 now.

AZmike
03-10-2003, 02:38 PM
The notched end of the distributor only will fit on to teh camshaft one way. Just keep turning the distributor shaft a little until everything lines up and you can assemble it together. After bolting it on a little loose you need to set the timing.

To find top dead center look in the little hole between the engine and transmission and watch for a T mark to line up with the metal arrow while slowly turning the crankshaft counter-clockwise with a wrench.

2Fast_Fiero
03-10-2003, 02:50 PM
How will I turn the crankshaft with the engine and transmission together and droped in the car? And do I need the engine to be Top Dead Centered to install the Distributer right? Or can I just do what you told me to do?

AZmike
03-10-2003, 02:57 PM
First put transmission is neutral. Then turn the engine with the bolt at the end of the crankshaft (mine is 19 mm). It will be hard to turn because you'll build pressure in the cylinders. To make it easier you could remove the spark plaugs if you're having trouble turning it with them in. But all of that doesn't matter because...

It doesn't matter where the crank is when you connect the distributor as long as the camshaft and distributor line up correctly. The offset groove on the camshaft will only line up with the distributor in one position so be patient and you'll eventually get the two parts to fit together.

2Fast_Fiero
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mike.

AZmike
03-10-2003, 03:08 PM
No problem, just be sure to set the timing when you're done. I tried marking the distributor and head when I replaced the distributor o-ring, but it didn't run well until I used a timing light.

If you get a chance it might be a good idea to get that oil pressure sensor working again. It could end up warning you if something bad happens before you destroy the engine by continuing to use it.

anchovies
03-10-2003, 09:53 PM
You don't need tdc on any of the pistons to put the distributor on. It'll only go in one way. Just put it on and then check your timing with a timing gun. If you made a mark on your distributor before you removed it, then it'll be alot easier.