PDA

View Full Version : ...and now what the hell is this all about?

markmdz89hatch
03-10-2003, 02:24 PM
So the past week or so, I go to start the car, and boom, just like clock work, she starts right up. One push of the pedal, a turn of the key, and she's cranking at high idle for a few, then drops right on down. OK, so there's nothing wrong with that.

But lately, I go to turn her off and what do I get....

Turn the key to off, she's out of gear, or in gear but with the clutch in (obviously) and here it goes...

sput-sput...sputter-put-put-put-sputter....shivvver....put-put-sputter.....cghehhhhhh.....cough... OFF.

Well now WTF is that all about, the gremlins under the hood don't want to stop runnin or what?/??????

Anyway, OK, I can deal with that although it's a little odd if I don't say so myself.

But this afternoon on my lunch break, I go out, get in the car, start her up, reach my destination point, park the car, shut her off and she does that whole little song and dance. But this time I go out to start her after finishing up my 2ck. Chalupas and nachos, and what do I get.

Ahhh, the beautiful sound of a starter begging for something to ignite so I can stop it's monotonous r....r...r...r...r.r..r..r..r.r
Nothing, so I stomp on the gas a few times, turn the key, same thing. Now I put the pedal on the floor, and keep it there while trying to turn it over. And finally after about 15-20 seconds of starter, I hear it attempting to drink those little dribbles of gasoline that were so anticipated minutes before. I let her sit for a second so she could get back to breathing more like she should, then mimicing a Honda on Athsma, and she ran fine. I guess the true test now will be to see what she does in an hour when I bid a fine farewell to my place of employment for the evening.

any thoughts? Dirty carb? Bad fuel? 99% user error? Drunken gremlins in the carb drinking up all the fuel in the lines?

StUpiD8000
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
yep, its thos Drunken gremlins in the carb drinking up all the fuel in the lines. I had that same thing happin to me.

dXsquared
03-10-2003, 02:45 PM
i think it might be a dirty carb or a bad fuel pump

Travis

ACCORD EX
03-11-2003, 01:09 AM
i think your carb is flooded ! check the float level @ the carb !

and about this shut off problem it could be high idle , or something electrical

MIKE

A20A1
03-11-2003, 01:37 AM
so it idles bad
starts bad
but drives good?

or does it drive bad as well?

markmdz89hatch
03-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
so it idles bad
starts bad
but drives good?

or does it drive bad as well?

well, once the high idle drops out, the car does idle ok. It's got a little fluctuation in rpm's so that may be an indication of that beloved "dirty carb syndrome". As for driving, driving is fine, no power as usual b/c when the thermostat blew out it would run hot, so I'm guessing I "potato-chipped" my head a little, but I'm not overly concerned b/c she's getting a new engine very soon.

When I was on the highway this morning, I just put her in second and let her pull herself without touching the gas pedal, and it seemed that there were little surges in power, not big surges, but almost like I was running on oval shaped tires if that makes any sense to you.

ACCORD EX
03-11-2003, 12:49 PM
i would check ignition ! sparks + wires + coil !

MIKE

MrBen
03-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Mine does the same thing, the guy at the shop said the choke get stuck open anfd floods the carb with gas. Basically the carb needs to be rebuilt/cleaned/run over with a semi.

danronian
03-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Just from my experience from carbs I would agree that it is probably either the carb needs to be rebuilt or there is something up with the fuel supply. I would check all of the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter before jumping to any conclusions, if your choke is stuck open and the carb gets really flooded and you think this is what it is, to be sure, after you have tried to start it a few times, take off the air cleaner and see if the carb is wet with fuel, if it is, the carb is just shot.

A20A1
03-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Mine does the same thing, the guy at the shop said the choke get stuck open anfd floods the carb with gas. Basically the carb needs to be rebuilt/cleaned/run over with a semi.

The choke stuck open would only cause the car to run leaner if it was durring start up. Otherwise the choke is there only to affect the amount of air entering the carb at low/idle rpms.. if it was stuck closed then you might flood the carb @ idle... but you'd also be blocking the primary barrel from working as soon as you get off the idle curcuit, if the choke isn't froced open manually by some link with the throttle.