PDA

View Full Version : Rust Spotss!!!!!!!!

Microstreak
03-10-2003, 02:46 PM
My car has been stuck in the snow for about a month, my mechanic fixed the car (it wasn't starting) and i just washed it today im so happy,:super: but i noticed some rust spots on the drivers side ( it was on the road) and i was wonderin what other than a completely new paint job can fix it up? anybody have any suggestions, and i want to be able to make them white (my exterior is white) ill have pictures up soon in a day or two. thanks for any help

RaceFreak21
03-13-2003, 06:10 PM
well you could buff them out yourself and then spray paint um white but other than i got no clue

meohmy01
03-13-2003, 06:58 PM
grind out all the rust, take off the rust strips, fill whatever pits have formed, and have the quarter blended.

Microstreak
03-14-2003, 10:08 PM
how can i have the "quarter blended" i have some rustoeleum, that is white paint. will that be good enuf?

meohmy01
03-15-2003, 06:48 AM
i was thinking a spray gun and match the color code. there is no way in hell you are going to get rustoleum to look like the stock paint. you won't get the depth if you even get the color to match. if you just want to do a spray can do duplicolor. at least you can match the color. but you still won't get the shine.

86accord4dr
03-17-2003, 07:25 PM
yeah i painted mine with the duplicolor from walmart and the dupli clear coat. it's definitely not the same shine as a pro job but it does the trick in the meantime.

here's some pics... sorry about the walmart wheel covers.. they're gone now

--please be patient with the load times as they're going of my server at home--
http://24.72.35.234/hemimobile1.jpg
http://24.72.35.234/wheel1.jpg

86accord4dr
03-17-2003, 07:27 PM
damn i need to wash my car... i forgot how decent she looks clean... damn winter

danronian
03-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by 86accord4dr
yeah i painted mine with the duplicolor from walmart and the dupli clear coat. it's definitely not the same shine as a pro job but it does the trick in the meantime.

here's some pics...

Did you paint the entire car by spray can, or just rust spots. And if you did do the whole thing, did you do a panel at a time, tape the surrounding off and so on, or did you do it in parts?
I ask this because the black paint is coming off of the hood and roof of my accord due to sun damage and I would like it to look good and dont feel like paying maaco over $200 for something I just want to look alright, but the whole car's body is kinda beat so maybe I will do the whole thing, i am really not sure yet.

86accord4dr
03-18-2003, 03:22 PM
don't bother with maaco man... it'll look alright for 6 months and then the shine will be gone. yeah i did the whole thing with the cans... i masked off all the trim, windows and antenna. took off my tails and corners and shit and hit it with the spray cans. i think i used 5 cans for the whole thing and 2 cans of clear coat. cheap as hell. if it's just spots that are flaking or shitty you'd really be better off hitting the whole car. the cans that i used had a fan spray tip that made quick work without drips and shit . the only really hard part is the hood, trunk and roof (damn that roof is hard) cuz spray cans don't work well when held horizontally. i took the hood off and rested it on the side of the garage so it stood up.. that made it nice as hell. if you haven't used spray cans much i'd suggest practicing on a beater or something big that you dont' really care about. i used to paint graffiti in the day so i'm very used to them... i'd suggest it if you want to experiment.

if you just painted the crappy parts it'd have a different lustre and color so don't do that unless you just want to hit the rust with a primer so it won't continue( remembering to sand/grind off the rust first tho)

if you want any more clarification pm me and i'll be glad to give you more pointers.

meohmy01
03-18-2003, 03:30 PM
my 5th gen accord has maaco paint. the shine is warranteed for 2 years. looks pretty good for 550 bucks. can you believe they charged me more because they had to paint my wing separate. on the 5th gen i did duplicolor black paint. didn't shine very good so i decided to go with maaco.

MrBen
03-18-2003, 06:09 PM
You're telling me it looks like that? Damn, I'm going to do that this summer. Is it flaking and shit anywhere yet? Does it scratch easily? How long did it take you and up close, can you tell you painted it by can like that?

meohmy01
03-18-2003, 06:12 PM
if i ever get rid of the gray primer look on my 3 gee i think i would just coat it quick with a spray gun. id have to buy one since that's about the only air tool i don't have. but i think it would be worth it.

86accord4dr
03-19-2003, 04:25 PM
yeah i say go for it! up close it's as good as anything. as i said it doesn't have the depth of factory or custom paint but it's not splotchy or anything... thanks for the props.

Microstreak
03-21-2003, 09:00 PM
hmm, i can't afford maaco, not in my budget, i want to basically get the rust out, the rustoleum matches it b/c its the orig paint job on the car, which is 16yo now. hehe, my car doesn't shine, its dull at some points u can see some dark spots of metal, where there was more wear. i wish i could get a maaco paint job but i don't have that type of money rite now to spend.

MrBen
03-21-2003, 09:24 PM
I say go for it and do it yourself. I think I am going to do it this summer.

86accord4dr
03-23-2003, 08:39 PM
i wrote a mini faq if anyone needs. just pm me for it and i'll post it