PDA

View Full Version : Wont start after gasing up?!?!

Coitis1
03-10-2003, 03:47 PM
this has been a problem for a long time, and recently not one at all. but today it happened agian. after i gas up, it has a hard time starting. i get the starter's rrr-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r, and it just keeps doing that. then, after a few tries and some pumpin action, it will start up rough, then be fine after that. anyone else had this problem? what is it? also, could this be related to a faulty main relay. i had hella problems last summer w/ starting in the heat, and never got it fixed. i wanna get it fixed before it starts to get hot agian so i don't have to worry about being stranded. any suggestions? thanks

88LXi/87CRXSi
03-10-2003, 05:00 PM
It could be your main relay, but this sounds like your ect (engine coolant temp) sensor. The car floods when u try to start it after like 5 minutes? Just replace both, like me and others have done, and this summer, it'll start EVERY time. :lol

-Steve

Coitis1
03-10-2003, 07:51 PM
i'm an idiot. i should've though of ect sensor. thats the code that my computer keeps blinking, but i've always ignored it, thinking i would get it done next time i go to the shop. well now i will replace it for sure. was it an expensive fix? my memory is kinda fuzzy, but i remember looking up the price of main relays last summer and i think they were like $70-$80?!?! is that right? i give the shop a cizzall this week. thanks man

Coitis1
03-10-2003, 08:00 PM
oh yeah, one more thing. can either one of those (bad relay or ect sensor) contribute to bad gas mileage. i'm gettin HORRIBLE gas mileage. i'm talkin 14-16 miles to the gallon. its pissin me off, especially since gas here was at $1.59 today.

88LXi/87CRXSi
03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Ect should be about $30 and main relay $50, although it can be repaired, check how to section for link. Damn.. 14-16 MPG? :huh: I know the main relay won't do shit to help mileage, ect maybe a little, but damn.. don't think it'll add another 15 mpg :confused: Might have other issues. I don't know? :(

-Steve

Coitis1
03-11-2003, 01:25 PM
i know it won't add much, if any. i was just wondering if it would help at all. i'm so puzzled on why my mileage is so bad. oh well. thanks for the prices.

'A20A3'
03-23-2003, 07:07 PM
spark plugs, and wires. i had that same sorta mileage, i was running on only like 2 or 3 cylinders! check your plugs and wires. that might be whats cotributing to your bad gas mileage.

LXiRAM87
04-10-2003, 07:19 PM
IT IS THE ECT TRUST ME, it just happened to me last month, and YES IT WILL KILL YOUR GAS Millage. the sensor costs about $55 new and it is worth it,

Coitis1
04-11-2003, 03:47 PM
thanks, i'm planning on takin my car in to the shop next week so i'll have them replace it then.

anchovies
04-11-2003, 10:41 PM
1 minute replacement.
The sensor is about $30 and I think with a 22mm deep socket.

LXiRAM87
04-14-2003, 07:22 PM
I know the guy that replaced my ECT, he is a friend of the family and i am pretty sure he would try to rip me off. But when he was installin mine, i asked him if could do it. He said that would not be a good idea and went on to say that he had to put it through a learning process. I thought it was a load of shit but sure enough he had a red box computer sitting on my engine with wires running off of it while he intalled it and started it up.

Bruce

LXiRAM87
04-14-2003, 07:23 PM
CORECTION, I am pretty sure he WOULD NOT try to rip me off.

anchovies
04-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Well, it's just an ect sensor. Unless you strip the thread, nothing else can go wrong changing it. Simple as that. Diagnosing and testing if the ect is the culprit of your problems is another matter.