PDA

View Full Version : 93 accord questions

chunkee
03-10-2003, 08:09 PM
hi there,

bought a 93 honda accord ex wagon a couple of months ago and the 3rd to 4th shift of the AT is slipping. I had it inspected, and the torque mount was busted, that was fixed and I had the fluid changed. It is still slipping. Any suggestions on this one.

The car has 153xxx miles. It had a used AT put in at 114xxx..but I do no know what the mileage was on it.

Also, where is a good place to buy a reconditioned AT? It is hard to change out. I just bought a Helms manual.

Also, when the service center did a check... there is oil in the spark plug bins (where the rubber boot is) I have know idea how the oil is getting there? They were going to charge me serious money to fix it. Any ideas?

Also, how difficult is it to adjust the valves and clean the "carbon" out of the throttle body? They recommended that service as well.

Also, the lower front ball joints need to be replaced. Is this a real pain in the arse?

Also, the CV boots need to be replaced? How difficult is that?

And one last item? After I do some maintenance on it, I would like to get a little more horsepower out of it? What is the safest and cost effective way to do so?

It has been some time since I worked on cars...I used to do it all the time on my datsuns and my GTO...I am 35 now and need to save money in doing it myself.

I am sorry for all the questions. I live in East Tenn near Knoxville.

Thank you for the assistance in advance. Oh, where can you get replacement keys for the weird keyless entry system ( the ones with the battery in the key )

thanks again

JC

[email protected]

MoonScryer
03-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Suggestion: ask on a board that deals w/ 4th gens = we don't. As to your question, since it sounds like an automatic, it's dead. Best place to get a rebuilt is probably your local Auto Zone or some such - they all come from one of three suppliers. It will probably cost about $2500. Swapping it out isn't hard, just time consuming. That Helms is a good place to start - you will find no better guide.

As to cleaning out the carbon in it, just run better gas, as it's the fuel injectors that make the difference. Try one of the Lucas or STP fuel injector cleaners, those sometimes work. For cheap power, consider a cold air intake.

Have fun.

guaynabo89
03-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by chunkee

Also, when the service center did a check... there is oil in the spark plug bins (where the rubber boot is) I have know idea how the oil is getting there? They were going to charge me serious money to fix it. Any ideas?

Threre are ruber gromets that seal the valve cover to the cylinders the spark plugs are in. They are probably old and cracked.

Buy all the top gaskets, valve cover gasket, rubber grommets and sparkg plug gaskets. Then adjust your valves and put everthing back together.

YK86
03-11-2003, 12:40 AM
Guaynabo89 is right. The seals are probably getting really old. All the stuff that needs replacing that you mentioned is in your Helm's manual so read over that and decide for yourself if it's a pain in the butt of not. Some people think swapping engines is easy while others think oil changes are difficult. Just depends on the person and the tools they have.

As for the tranny, before you consider it dead, I would highly suggest flushing out the tranny fluid, fill with Honda ATF (a must!! don't use any other brand) and use the reccomended dosage of Ludeguard ATF additive. Not Slick50 or Bardahl or something like that, only Lubeguard. This stuff REALLY works wonders on slipping/hard shifting Honda trannies. It's even specifically named on troubleshooting papers that talk about Honda AT tranny problems. I think NAPA stores in the US carries it on the shelf.

chunkee
03-11-2003, 04:43 AM
Thank you guys for the replies. One other quick question then. Where is a good place for "4th" gen honda forums. Thanks so much.

John C